speedometer

my speedometer doesn't work anymore, the needle just goes randomly and when I go fast enough it it makes a high pitch whining noise. Is there any way to fix it. I tried opening it but it looks like you can't open it. My uncle said it's best to just get a new one. but it's a '79 made in italy and all that shit, so I'd like to keep all the original stuff.

Re: speedometer

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Did you lube he cable? Jim.

nope, didn't know i was supposed to and don't know how. I did notice the cable that goes into it when I took the speedometer off. so I think I know which cable you're talking about.

Smitty Smith /

graphite is the best thing to lube the speedo cable with.

so will a pencil work, if yes, how?

Smitty Smith /

auto parts stores carry a graphite lubricant. I doubt a pencile would work.

Auto parts stores or even home depot or Lowes. They use the graphite in locks. Its in small tubes. Be careful though. You can make a mess if your not carful. Very fine powder.

They make a liqiud graphite also, any store hardware section would have it. Temporarily you can use any lubricant. Take the cable off the back of the speedo and pull the flexible steel shaft out. I lubricate mine with wheel bearing grease, put it back in and turn it till you feel it catch in the wheel section. the ends are square so ou will fell it drop in when you turn it. Line it back up in the speedo hole and screw the housing nut back on, not real tight just enough so it doesn't fall off. Turn the front wheel by hand till the speedo needle moves then you can tighten by hand all the way. I like the wheel bearing grease because it doesn't drip out over time.

thanks i'll give it a shot

i did what you said with the bearing grease and all and it still does it. now it only does it when i hit 20 mph (like it did when i first started having this problem, then after a while it did it all the time), and the whine isn't as high pitched. is there something I might not have done right, or is there something else you could recommend.

When you pulled out the inner cable, did it have a kink anywhere on it?

i'll check to make sure, when i did the above mentioned

no kinks

Courtis Fuller /

Um..

#1 Pull the metal part out of the plastic lining.

#2 Get a paper towel and clean the metal part.

#3 Lube the hell out of the metal part.

#4 Stick it back in the plastic lining.

Now, turn the metal thing on one end of the cable, dose it spin ok on the other end?

Now, check the little threaded part on the wheel that the cable end screws onto. Turn the front wheel and make sure the little thing in there is turning. Get some lube in there.

Now, put it back together and test it.

I wish I could help you more, but that the best I can do over the Internet.:)

Good Luck,

Ben

P.S. Make sure the part on the speedometer and the wheel that the cable sticks into is not striped out or anything.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Some times you just to replace the whole cable when all else fails. Jim.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account