1980 moped spark help

hi,

i have visualy inspected the points,they are not pitted, gaped correctly,cleaned with a point file, and i took dirt off the contacts by moving a white cardboard Business card across the contacts. i had a strong spark. now no spark, but maybe in a little while i will have spark. it happens ocasionly.

with these syptems can anyone suggest what to do thanks- tim

Re: 1980 moped spark help

Smitty Smith /

what kind of 'ped are you working on Jim?

Smitty

inspect all wires for damage (places they could be grounding out on the frame)

make sure the ground contacts are strong. Inspect connecting blocks, and all terminations inside the headlight. check for continuity on your ignition switch. Check your rear light bulb, some peds have it wired pre ignition as a safety feature.

random spark usally means bad spark cap

Don Pflueger /

or wet points, weak condensor, loose plug wire, or loose/dirty wire connection.

batavus starflite,i was thinking of spraying contact cleaner on the points.but then donp suggested wet pionts would stop spark so i dont want to spry contact cleaner unless anyone says it would be alright. i will check the tail/head lights and wiring. in thee event of a weak condenser, will i have to remove the entire drive shaft or jcan i change the points/condeser by removing the housing cover(one nut in middle 11/16)i want to know when ordering poiinnts/condenser do i need to order the drive shaft puller tool. thanks -tim

Don Pflueger /

electrical contact cleaner dries up instantly. when i mentioned wet points, i was thinking more along the lines of moisture inside the magneto. temperature changes cause sweating which builds up inside the engine case.

ok thanks did you ever use spray on contact cleaner is it ok to use it on the points, thanks -tim

Don Pflueger /

i dont use it. i disassemble everything and clean it accordingly or replace it if needed.

Wet points mean that they may have oil on them. When you run the cardboard through spray the cardboard with brake cleaner to remove/dry up any oil film that may have gotton on them. Sometimes if the cam or rubbing block have to much lubricant it can fly over to the point contacts when turning high rpms.

okay moisture, answered before I read the rest of the threads.

i'm not sure what brake cleaner is. is it in a spry can ?-thanks

Yes, it is in the auto parts section near the brake fluids and carb cleaners. It is good because on brakes you cannot have any oil or grease. This stuff dries out the oils and grease.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account