Magneto trouble

Jeff Strahle /

Hello,

When i first start my moped i hear a big spark sound come from under the magento cover and then i smell electrical burn for a second. Then it stops and drives fine for a few minutes and then just bogs and barely runs and i hear the sparking noise again. Does anyone know what this could be. If it helps i replaced the condensor and the points should be fine, but would it do that because of the points or is it something else. all the lights and everything work its just that problem under the magneto cover that i can't figure out what it is. Help is very appreciated. Thanks

Jeff

Re: Magneto trouble

Don Pflueger /

clean out the magneto. dont use carb cleaner tho.

i seem to remember mine doing that...

I think it was because i found a screw loose in there, and it was jamming things up

cant be sure because i never did fix it :p

Smitty Smith /

I suggest taking the cover off, and definitely check for loose screws, or maybe a dislocated or broken magnet in the flywheel

use canned air

Jeff Strahle /

ok wow found two broken magnets and peices have been chipping off of them. could broken magnets be the reason why its sparking?

Smitty Smith /

normally something else causes the magnets to break, are all of the screws in place in the stator? Yes, the broken pieces of magnets would definitely cause noise and sparks. At minimum you'll need another flywheel.

Smitty

Don Pflueger /

most definetly. someone hit that flywheel with a hammer to get it off.

Jeff Strahle /

i think it happened when the flywheel came loose and was wobbling and it probably hit the coils and stuff and caused it to crack. Everything else looks fine though, like the coils and stuff, so i think i just need a new flywheel.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account