Puch clutch locks up

I have a 79 puch maxi II it sat un used for a couple of years and now when i pedal then pull the clutch it locks up. any clue on what's going on?

Re: Puch clutch locks up

pedal really hard

and its not really a clutch lever, it's an engine engage lever.

use it to start the bike, and dont touch it while it's running

unless of course you want to kill it

My puch maxi II doesnt have a kill switch anymore, so i use the engage lever to stop the engine :P i dunno how safe that is for it

it could be seized. when i got my 79 maxi 2 off ebay, it was soft seized and when i pulled the clutch it locked up the rear wheel. i unseized it by holding the clutch, and pushing it backwards and forwards. give it a try, just don't push it backwards really fast.

mopeddave

Monty

when you pull that lever you activate the decompressor valve, it's very bad because it fouls the plug, have you noticed that the engine struggles a little bit when you pull the lever? try a new spark plug in there then pull the lever, then check the condition of the plug. i flooded my engine last fall because my kill switch wouldn't work also and i tried your method, which works but _is_ destructive

Max-that ain't no decompression valve. It provides pressure to the starting plate on the clutch to start the engine. There is such a thing as a maxi with a centrifugal clutch and a decompressor, but it is way rare. I've only seen one. Most maxi's have a starter clutch. Using this to stop the engine wears on your clutch pretty bad. I'd be more all about simply kicking the plug boot off the plug.

I'm also not sure I'd call flooding a motor destructive. I've never really fouled a plug or flooded a motor using the decompression lever. Remember that the bike needs compression to allow fuel to be drawn into the combustion chamber. No compression means no vacuum to draw fuel, thereby not really having much of an effect on the status of the plug.

nembocratious

i didn't realize it was a rare thing, i assumed all maxi's had it cause mine does.... there's a rather large valve located right next to the spark plug on my engine and you're right it does screw up the clutch pretty bad, i think i mistook the sound for the piston but it's really the clutch. Now that you're telling me it's a rare thing how am I supposed to upgrade my bike to a big bore kit :O ? i've being looking at the cylinder heads provided with the speed kits at MWH and I don't see any port for a decompression valve :(

are they all the same or do I have to get a 'special' kit or something

Smitty Smith /

The "big-bore" kits I've installed do not have a decompressor valve. You could however use your stock head, with the decompressor if you wanted to, but I don't see a need in it. I just recently completed an E50 1-speed engine with the Airsal 70cc kit...I have an official radar speed of 50mph.

Re: Puch decompressor affecting upgrade

Smitty

the engine won't start without the decompressor in working condition, even if the circlip comes loose i'll lose lots of pressure so it is absolutely necessary. It sounds like a good idea to use the stock head, that Airsal 70cc kit is just what i had in mind when i get the $$$. I've recently become 'used' to 38mph and want to go a little faster. What modifications to the engine block did you have to do?

Smitty Smith /

there are no modifications needed if you're just going to put the Airsal cylinder kit on. The engine I built, I did alot of "enhancements" to the inside of the case, because I completely rebuilt this one, new crank, bearings, seals and all. We used the Amal 17mm carb, which takes the huge 19mm (24mm od) intake, and had to fabricate a riser for the carb to clear the top of the engine, and sit straight. You could use a stock 14 or 15mm Puch intake and Bing carb, or the 15mm Amal, and shouldn't have to do any case mods. Hope this helps.

thanks for the info smitty, i guess i could just substitute the old cylinder for the new one and get a larger carb.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account