How do I adjust a 2 speed

Nick Napolitano /

I need to know how or if it is possible to adjust or change shifting points on a 2 speed transmission. I got a 2001 Avanti Cosmo and it dosen't seem to want to downshift until it comes to a complete stop or I slam on the rear brake to stop the RPM's.

Re: How do I adjust a 2 speed

afaik, there is no shift point adjustment on any of these bikes .. 2nd gear activation is controlled by road speed and by spring strength of an internal clutch. I think there's something wrong if it's not downshifting.

Many of these bikes are extremely sensitive to lubrication type and amount.. Check gearbox fluid level and use the recommended fluid type. 350ml of SAE 30 motor oil for the one and two speeds according to this manual break>

more details about that bike's overall condition and it's mechanical history and the history of this particular shifting problem might provide clues to what's up..

do you have 350ml of SA30 weight oil in the tranny??????

if you have too much it will delay your shifting, and sooner, or later you will burn out those clutches..... double check your amount...........

A friend of mine told that you can change the counter weights inside the tranny. This is a major job though. Not for the inexperienced. As far as your shifting problem, I think that if you change the tranny oil with a better brand or even DextronIII you might see a difference. No promises.

Springs

What about different tension clutch springs?

Perry Manessis /

The Avantis are based on the Garelli VIP motor. It doesn't have clutch shoes, it uses rubber bands. If it is switching too early into second gear or staying in second gear to long, then you may need to either go to 400ml of 30W or try 40W. At what speed does it change from first to second?

Nick Napolitano /

It will shift into second fine but it when it accelerates up a hill it will only go in second and stay there regardless of speed. So there is lack of hill climbing power.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account