flywheel

Philip Arnold /

is there any to pull the flywheel without a flywheel puller? I have no spark on my murray and have checked everything. I do have a burnt out taillight but my manual doesnt say that will keep me from getting a spark. I'm thinking the points or condenser are burnt. Besides the taillight thats all it could be.

pda

Re: flywheel

The manual almost NEVER tells you that the burned out taillight bulb prevents spark. At least I haven't seen it maybe only once. You need a taillight for safe riding anyway. Fix it. don-ohio (:^)

ya its cheap fix and it could be the prob... neva know...and to get the flywheel off just losen the nut and tap around the flywheel with a hammer if that dont work u could take a chance lol (this is only when all else fails) screw the nut on bout 6 thread and hit the nut with a hammer...lol good chance of ruining crank shaft.........way cheaper and less risky if u just buy a flywheel puller..

BlAiR

Mechanics secret.....beveled fittings. just hit the flywheel with a hammer round and round till its pops off. This works with everything from tie rods to steering knuckles. Bigger part....bigger hammer. heres a picture to explain better

1112352860_flywheel.jpg

Don Pflueger /

NEVER HIT A FLYWHEEL WITH A HAMMER!

doing so breaks or loosens the magnets inside it.

Don Pflueger /

that secret could be very costly when you use that method to remove a tecumseh flywheel and you break the glue joints that hold the magnets in place. they are $80.00 and more to replace. you NEVER hit a flywheel with a hammer. take it from a real mechanic. thats what pullers are made for.

Philip Arnold /

ok ok I'll buy the tail light and WON'T hit it with a hammer!! Where in the world do I get a puller from? I'm thinking of taking a small engine repair class and starting a ped garage with my little bro, there isn't one here that will work on older peds! I don't know y though cause there easier than new ones! Thanks guys!

pda

Don Pflueger /

mopedwarehouse sells them. ebay. ikes bikes. most tool suppliers such as mac or snap on. sears.

Philip Arnold /

ok so I found some pullers. am i correct, they just screw on and you pull it off?

pda

James Foster /

Well, there's actually two kinds of pullers that I know of; 2-3 jaw sprocket pullers(like in the attachment above), and the draw-bolt type pullers. Personally, I've been using the 3 jaw sprocket puller I got from Autozone, and it works just fine as long as you adjust it correctly. The ones like at MWH are probably easier though, so you might want to purchase one like that if you're flywheel is designed for it. Whether you ask around at auto parts stores or shop online, you should find just what you're looking for. :)

Hope this helps,

JF

1112369556_otc1021l.jpg

Philip Arnold /

thanks

Be careful with jawed pullers.........they apply way more force than you are feeling with the wrench and they can bend your flywheel edges. The BEST puller is the one that screws into the flywheel itself,and the inner screw pushes it away from the crankshaft. Cost 20 bucks. don-ohio (:^)

James Foster /

Good point Don, I just thought I'd mention it incase it was a flywheel that didn't have the ability to use the other type. I have to use a jaw puller on my honda because it's flywheel can't use the other type. Go with Don's advice Damon, and just be careful if you end up using a sprocket puller. Let me know if all goes well or not. :)

JF

UM... Shouldn't you simply try replacing the bulb before you get involved in ripping the motor apart??? lol

I always do the hard stuff first and then find out it was the simple fix all along (very dumb dumb dumb) ... it's how i ended up rebuilding my ped lol :P

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account