Tomos Silver Bullet Acceleration

Nick Eiselstein /

Ok.. So i just think the Bullet needs some lovin' and be ridden. I took it all apart last week and put it all back together. When I first started running it, it kinda struggled now it runs awesome right when I first start it up. Fast off the line and switches gears smoothly. after about 10 minutes of riding the acceleration cuts down alot and sometimes it will take a while to switch into second gear. Now I am thinking that a new air filter will correct this. I have never replaced the air filter and i tried to clean it but light still struggled to pass through most of it. do you think the air filter will correct this??????

Re: Tomos Silver Bullet Acceleration

I hope it's not getting ready to soft-seize on you. It's probably an inleaKAGE OF AIR BETWEEN THE CYL. AND BLOCK or somewhere else. What's your plug chop like after running it like this? don-ohio

Nick Eiselstein /

what is a soft-sieze.

Don Pflueger /

a soft sieze is where the engine is over heated just enough to slow or stop the piston from moving, but not lock it up in the cylinder so badly that there is a lot of metal transfer.

drop your exhaust off, look up thru the exhaust port, and while looking slowly turn the engine over. look at the piston side wall as it moves up and down past the port. and scratches, rub marks, or discoloration is a sign of soft siezing. if you see these, then you have an air leak somewhere or your main jet is too lean.

Your transmission is not shifting because your engine is lacking power. If you haven't cleaned the carbon from the engine, do so. Take the cylinder head off, take the exhaust pipe off, and clean the exhaust port, the top of the piston and the pre combustion chamber on the head. replace and retighten the head criss cross until tight. It's best if you torque it to spec. Have fun. Freddie at www.simplymopeds.com

Nick Eiselstein /

doing a plug chop right now

any other ideas?

Nick Eiselstein /

here is one shot of the plug after a plug chop. I let it idle for about 15 minutes then I revved it on the kick stand for about 40 seconds full throttle and killed it. Let me know if you think this is too light and what might be causing this?

1112896461_moped_plug_1.jpg

Nick Eiselstein /

here is a second picture of the plug after the chop

1112896495_moped_plug_2.jpg

Don Pflueger /

to do a plug chop.

start the engine up and warm it up thoroughly. shut it off and remove the plug. install a brand new unused plug. restart the engine and ride the bike full throttle for at least one mile. shut the engine off at full throttle, close the throttle and come to a stop. remove the plug and inspect it.

right now, all you did was burn the ceramic at idle. your plug chop results are no good.

Nick Eiselstein /

thats the thing when i ride the moped it goes about 5 to 10 mph tops. will switch into 2nd gear sometimes but then it will just lose pwer and kick back into first gear. I dont know how to do a plug chop in this condition? Any ideas?

Don Pflueger /

sounds like its not getting enough rpm. probably a fuel issue. check the carb thoroughly, and make sure the intakes bolts are tight, and the head bolts are torqued to 10 ft/lbs. how much compression does it have?

Nick Eiselstein /

yeah i think it might be compression too. I have to get a compression gauge to test it. But what is wierd is right when I fire it up it runs great. Good accelereation switches into second like normal. Then after about 5 minutes power just goes in the toliet.

Don Pflueger /

things heat up and expand then an air leak probably developes.

Nick Eiselstein /

is there anything i can get that will tell where the air leak is

if there is one that is?

Don Pflueger /

carb cleaner. start the engine up and spray it around the head gasket, cylinder base gasket, and intake mounting while the engine is at idle. any rpm change will indicate a leak.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account