Honda Express spark

This seems to be an odd one to me. My 1980 MC50 ran fine a few days ago. Now, after several rainy days in Florida, there is no spark. The bike got wet. Now, no spark-well, almost. I cleaned and set the points, checked capacitor and coil to be sure they are dry. Here's the odd part- when I release the starter spring with the plug removed from the head, but connected to plug wire and plug grounded, I get one solid spark every time I move kill switch or ignition key to "off", then "run".One spark each time. If I jiggle the switch or key several times while engine is being turned via starting spring, I get several sparks. But- only 1 at a time!! Any ideas?

Sounds like something grounding somewhere, but, why the solitary spark? Thanks, Ron

Re: Honda Express spark

Jonas Quimby /

Water has probably gotten into the switches of the grip, and possibly into the headlight area.

The problem might even go away if you wait a day or two.

Cleaned and dried all areas to the best of my ability.Still no change. One thing I found out- holding plug wire, even with insulated pliers NOT A GOOD IDEA!! Got knocked on my behind! Seems like lots of voltage present. Tried several plugs-resistor and non- none work other than originally described.Maybe plug gap of .028" too wide?? Could plug wire itself be leaky??Plug wire boot never firmly attached to wire, but ran great a few days ago. Plug boot resistor inside?? Is this replaceable? Or, does it have to come with the coil?? Thanks to all.

you got good spark if you got knocked on your ass..

Do a better job of cleaning switches .. blow them out with compressed air and squirt WD40 into the switches .. that stuff displaces moisture and helps electrical contact.

Jonas Quimby /

Your gap would be .026" but I cant see that tiny differance being enough. The proper spark plug is an NGK-BP5HS.

Honestly, if you're getting power to knock you over, you should be getting a spark.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account