What do they do and how do a condensor & coil

How do they work and what do a condensor and coil do. Exactly no broad definitions please.

Re: What do they do and how do a condensor & c

Don Pflueger /

a coil is excited when a magnet passes over its pick ups. the windings then generate current. a condensor acts as a shock absorber in the electrical system. it catches the excess current that is flowing to the points to keep them from arcing and being burned..

Can you buy condensors at auto parts stores? That would work on targa points?

Don Pflueger /

no cuz they wont fit in the magneto and the microfarad ratings will be different.

My mopeds beeing a real pain in the but, I changed my 95 targa lx to point ignition after blowing out the old crank and flywheel do to trans trouble, I put a new crank and ignition on, had further trans troble i bleieve and almost striped it out again, but i'm gona make it work, timing may be off a tiny bit but i had gotten it two spark excillently the other day after cleaning the points, headlight and tailight work but horn doesn't but did and now it won't spark at all. I'm lost and i need to fix this cause i have a guy who wants to buy it on monday or tuesday, any help would be apreciated. I used some fin grit sand paper and cleaned the points and the wiring around the engine seems good, is it the spark coil or what?

Don Pflueger /

i say its a problem with your points. what are they gapped at? when they are closed, do they have continuity? do you have power from the blue wire going to the ht coil? disconnect the blue wire where it runs up the wire harness to the handle bars and check for spark. if you get spark, then the problem is either your kill switc is bad and grounded out, or your brake light bulb is bad or has a bad ground.

OK i just did a bunch more work on it today and no luck but a lot more readings.

I tried running it straight from the stator to the spark coil and no luck getting spark, i read the spark coil and it had omes so it seems to be good, what got interesting was theire is the yellow and black wire coming out of the stator magneto assmebly yellow=lights etc and black=ignition circuit i checked the omes on ignition circuit and it ran through to the frame, is it supposed too? I'm getting so lost. I tried fiddling with the points and when they are open their gap is about two poscards thick is that right? How do i adjust mky points and to what measurement.?

get a big cerial box, The thickness should be about .20

usual point gap is .15, so your timing will work, but it'll be a bit advanced.be shure to cut out a piece=dont just rip.

Don Pflueger /

use the ohm meter to test the black wire. put one meter lead on the black wire and the other meter lead on the engine block. now turn the engine over slowly. if your points are working the meter shoul deflect, then overload, then deflect again, and so on. gap on the points needs to be .014"-.016".

Don Pflueger /

lol. use a feeler guage. .014"-.016".

What do they do and how do a condensor & coil

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/aa052502a.htm This may be more than you want to know but have a look. Jim.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account