Weird Knocking~

Michael Romano /

well for some reason on my moped. i have this weird knocking noise.. I just got it fixed after i stripped the head bolts out.. so ne ways when ever i go fast and slow down rapidly it sounds like the cylinder is hitting the piston or something like that.. i dont want to dig into it until i get some possible solutions.. the Ped is a 1995 tomos targa lx

1111798491_ped1.jpg

Re: Weird Knocking~

Michael Romano /

Come on guys this is really getting to me.. i dont want to ruin it!

It's kinda tough to predict what you will find when you go exploring in there.

Who fixed it and what did they do? What was the total extent of the damage done.. was it run with stripped bolts?

excessive piston slap .. bad crank or rod bearings.. no way to know from the little info provided so far.

Also, engines DO sound a little bit different after going real fast and slowing down quick. Usually almost as if it's not firing on every stroke, which it is not.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

I assume you had the head off, did you drop something into the cylinder? Jim.

Michael Romano /

Well.. I had it fixed by a small engine repair guy. I would have fixed it myself but i didnt have the extractor that was needed, he also put in new studs and loctited them in.. It was not run with stripped head bolts because it would not run.. i was thinking piston slap but how is this fixed.. and the wrist pin and bearing are new so i dont believe that is the problem either..

Michael~

every engine has a little piston slap.. it's just noise from the piston rocking slightly due to piston skirt to cylinder wall clearance. If a piston's skirt is badly worn, it rocks more and makes louder mechanical noise as it slaps sideways in the cylinder.

Unless i had a good reason not to, I'd take it back to the guy that did the work and have him check it out.. He might find the trouble and explain it... it might even be due to something he did..

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

Make sure you are running with a headgasket. Maybe run with 2. Try it and see if the ping goes away. That was the problem with my Tomos.

Loose flywheel,loose chain or fenders can cause funny noises. When I took my first ride on the StreetMate,my fender got loose up front and made a noise like a piston hitting something. don-ohio

I had the same problem don-o... i lost 1 of my screws! And now my exhaust is cruded up and my bike wont run :-((.

So, ike took it and he's gonna gut the exhaust and get rid of there "catiletic converters" but leave the baffles in there and see how it does. if that dont work were gonna weld a revivial pipe on to the SM header.

Hmmmmmmmmm......haven't had any trouble with the exhaust.........how many miles have you ran it?

That dern catalytic converter HAS burnt my brand new SNOWMOBILE SUIT ON the LEG though(the heaT SHIELD SHOULD BE twice the length it is). Stay well away from that pipe! I'll haveto get that suit repaired.....it's too warm and nice to toss.

don-ohio (:^)

Michael Romano /

Well.. I figured it out... See i needed new tires as they were the originals on the bike. Well there was a piece of rubber that was hitting the fender causing it to make the most awful "piston slapping noise".. But guys I really appreciate all your guys help. Ne ways I visited smitty in myrtle beach.. and he helped me change the tires and tubes and we will be prepping my moped for the big ride this weekend! If you get a chance to Visit Smitty you definatly should..

Michael~

I had 194 miles on it.... i am REALLY pissed and ike says it'll be months before we could get another piupe or that one repaired my tomos. so ike's gonna take 'er appart and gut those converters for me!! I'll keep ya posted on the process of it. Happy riding in this nice weather don-o!!

BTW: i got a 1994 Tomos TT Bullet? or Sprint.... no one know's but i got a nice one to ride lol! Wish i could ride my SM because of this awesome weather but it's ok. i'll drive it without the exhaust lol! JK!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account