Disposal of Behre Concrete etcher/rust remover

I have a few tanks to flush out this Spring and will be using the Concrete etcher. Was wondering how it should be properly disposed of after its time in the tank. Also...does it break down concrete cement upon contact?

Whats a good way to seal the tank after?

Thanks for any advice on this!

Re: Disposal of Behre Concrete etcher/rust remover

not sure about disposal anne, but use this product to seal it:

http://www.instantop.com/CyclePage/Kreem.htm

you can get it at any motorcycle shop, ebay, etc.

hey annie

i have dumped a little on the driveway and it hasnt harmed anything, may not be good for the earth though, if you didnt feel good about watering it down and dumping it on your sidewalk or just throwing it in your garbage i am sure there is some sort of chemical dumpsite for things you cant throw away, like car batteries and motor oil and such

i have been using the same gallon I bought almost a year ago, my logic was that if it dissolved rust and so forth than the solution would probably retain its chemical properties for awhile, i dont know if that makes sense, i ve used that same gallon on 3 or 4 tanks, its seems to still work, every time i dump it in a takn rust floats to the top and then slowly dissolves away,

It's phosphoric acid. Local laws dictate how to properly dispose of it. I tried doing a search for you on the NY laws but couldn't really find anything. Call the city office that handles the trash and recycling. They'll be able to steer you on the right direction.

I don't think it will break down concrete instantly. You have to scrub the the concrete with a wire brush to get it clean with that stuff. I would imagine though that if you let a pool of it sit on the sidewalk it'll leave a mark.

Hope that helps.

You can also neutralize it with baking soda. Acid + base = fun!

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

I always call the local sanitation dept. Once a year we have a Get-rid-of-it-day where you can drop of just about any thing for disposal.Once a paint contracter left 400 gallons of old paint. They were not pleased. Jim.

IT WILL EAT THROUGH CONCRETE AND ASPHAULT!

dump a shitload of bakining soda in it and toss it in any dumpster

Foam-a-licious.

ok...just picked up a huge gallon of this fun stuff.

So do you guys dilute or use it straight?

Since it will eat thru concrete and asphalt....what should be used to plug up the end of the tank after removing the petcock.

It'll be a fun Easter Sunday indeed!

Thanks for all the input everyone. =)

Fingers always work.....

I guess you could use a small cork or rubber stopper. I don't think it'll be eaten by the acid. If you have an old petcock that will at least shut off, you could use that.

at most hardware stores you can guy little rubber corks, i use to use those, but the last couple times i have used it i just left the petcock in, it didnt harm it at all

i always just use it straight, i ve left in in for anywhere between 2-8 hours or more

I put a big rubber stopper in the top and a small one in the bottom. I use it diluted, with hot water. Maybe half-and-half. Hot water first, then acid. The acid will splash--gloves are highly recommended.

gloves and goggles

Leon Swarmer /

Please use serious gloves and goggles when you use this stuff. A little splash can do major damage.

Leon

Re: gloves and goggles

why's "MY" namwe under that post?

do we have several "Leons"

now? wtf?

Re: gloves and goggles

Names are correct on my screen...

Annie,

Call 311

update....so its been in there concentrate for 20hrs and theres still considerable rust altho much better than before.

Anyone know at what point I should be concerned with it eating thru the tank itself. Short of seeing holds and such of course.

Thanks again everybody!

-annie

i have always left in in full strength, for up to 8 hours, if not longer, you could also toss in some soft lead bb's and drain out some of the juice to try and knock some of the rust loose, as bad as that stuff is, using it at full strenght shouldnt hurt anything

is it a fixed tank like a puch, or something removeable,

i wouldnt worry about eating thorugh the tank unless its rusted real bad, then small pin size holes might appear, take the tank to a do it your self car wash and pressure blast the inside with hot water, that loosens the stuff up as well, then let it soak again with the behrs

phosphoric acid, the main componet of the concrete and rust etcher, is also in coca cola

it's a a real mild acid as far as acids go .. they pick phosporic acid because it eats iron oxide (rust) a lot faster than it eats iron.. but it does slowly eat good metal too..

It looses strength quickly. 20 hours with the same batch is more than enough time to get full value out of it.

A combination of some sort of abrasive action to remove flaky rust, followed by a good rinsing and then the final rust remover treatment is an economical way to do it.

Then seal the tank with Kreem and you're good to go.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account