Replacing Belt - Motobecane 50v '79

Okay!

My belts are all crazy cracked! I need to replace these! What exactly are the steps involved?

1.) Remove Variator

2.) Remove Belt and replace

3.) Re-attache Variator

Does the clutch have to come off?

Is this how it goes? I do not have any of the specialty tools for the bike, so can I still do this? I have a large metric tool set, will that do?

What type of belt do I use? Brand and #, that I can get at the autostore?

Re: Replacing Belt - Motobecane 50v '79

The belt should be available locally. Do a search on this site.

Hami Onder /

No im pretty sure you need a special variator belt. I think the width or the belt is important to the variator. Which means you need a belt made for the bike. Can anyone a little more experienced back me up on that?

When i replaced mine all i had to do what remove the cover over the variator. Then you just muscle it on. Using a screwdriver to wedge it on is what i did.

So, no need to remove it from the bike, just the cover?

Where did you get replacement? The one at the mopedjunkyard must be found somewhere else...

Thanks,

Fred

Hami Onder /

i looked everywhere and finaly found one on ebay. And yeah, there is a cover that screws over the variator just remove that and pry it out with a screwdriver. if its too tight then you have to take the whole variator off.

Email mopedjunkyard im sure they can get one for you.

I was out looking at it at lunch. I see where the cover fits on. I got a #9313 at the auto store which bret says will work fine. I will try it out.

The belt will be unusable after i take it off...so I can just cut it.

Thanks,

Fred

I allready email fred, but just in case some one else sees this

DO NOT REMOVE THE VARIATOR just pull the belt off the pedal pulley

I used a 4l32 belt from napa for relacement It works fine

here is a forum about motobecane belts https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/6/5375/5375/

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account