Taking off/acceleration

When i'm taking off i cant seem to get any acceleration. I tried turning the throttle a little or just turning it full throttle and people are walking faster then im going and i usually have to petal till and turn the throttle at the same time to just get moving, but after i hit like 8 mph it seems to pick up alright. So whats the problem?

Re: Taking off/acceleration

have you checked your tranny fluid??

decarbinize your exhaust port, and exhaust.

Taking off/acceleration

What bike do you have?

My new Kinetic is terrible from 5--10 MPH, and after that it's not bad, just slow like you would expect from a 50cc pavement ripper.

You might try playing with your idle air:fuel mixture adjustments.. This has an effect even after the bike is moving, perhaps up to half-throttle or more. It sounds like you are now running lean or rich at part throttle, and the engine has no power at that point. Other things, aside from idle-mixture ratio can do it, but if everything is "stock" you might be able to tune this problem away. Other things could be improper float level or a vacuum leak or dirty carb, (needle position if you have messed with that) etc, etc.. all the common stuff.

Barring other problems, if a carb is delivering the perfect air:fuel ratio for every particular engine RPM and load, the engine will have power and accelerate smoothly throughout it's range. Simple little carbs rely on their part design and don't have a lot of adjustments, but they do have a few.. And new bikes, properly tuned, don't exhibit the problem you are experiencing.

opps.. i retract my statement about new bikes not having this problem :)

but i'd still be down there trying to tune it away.. i dont see any reason for it.. damn..

Matthew Barila /

WHat kind of tan. fluid should i use. I put automatic transmision fluid in cuz thats all i could find.

Matthew Barila /

Well i just put this moped together, its a 85 trac clipper. The carb is clean, there are no leaks, the idle fuel mixture is right. Could it be the spark plug? The one i have in there makes it start up right away while the one that is supposed to be in there doesnt work, or takes forever to finnally make it start

Sparkplugs die or get weak and often there are no external signs.. get a new plug of the proper type. But if the bike starts ok with the other plug, i doubt a plug is the problem. If the bike runs fine above 10 mph, i doubt the problem involves ignition.

Fuel mix ratio problems, on the otherhand, most often cause a bike to run crappy at some speed range.. only at idle, only at top speed, or at some range in between.

Besides the advice people have offered, old gaskets shrink and leak air.. vacuum leaks around the intake manifold upset mixture ratio. Lots of other things are possible causes of crappy low speed running.

More detailed info about that bike and exactly how it's acting might help people narrrow causes down to one or two possibilities.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account