WHAT THE HELL WRONG WITH EXPRESS, BULB BURNS OUT?

What the hell is wrong with the damn Express, just boght a headlight beam from Jason, hooked it up, worked for couple seconds, and then, both the low and high beam burned out! I dont' have money to buy this shit... What should I do???

Ilya

Re: WHAT THE HELL WRONG WITH EXPRESS, BULB BURNS O

Is there a battery in there? you know, under the seat?

If you take the battery out, it'll blow the bulb because it acts like a regulator.

If you run without a batttery, you need to make a regulator. I imagine that it'll be a diode, and a resistor, but I really and truly don't know.

damn that sucks dude

dont feel too bad i found that out the hard way too but at least you only paid $8 i did it to a new one that was $35

Ilya Shokur /

Yeah, Jason! That's ok! I am going to sell the Express anyways! I will know what to do next time, I didn't had the battery charged up!

Ilya

usually, the bulb shouldnt burn even if the battery isnt charged...

Ilya Shokur /

well, maybe it wasn't hooked up...

Jonas Quimby /

The Express has a rather odd electrical system that makes a charged battery vital to keeping your headlight happy.

Logic goes out the window around these bikes...

i have a similar problem with my maxi, but of course there is no voltage regulation. i have a few coil resistors lying around, how many ohm's of resistance do you need to prevent burnouts?

I had a problem with tail light bulbs burning out on my Newport. I finally figured it out... the shiny chrome colored plastic reflector inside the tail light assembly had an invisible crack in it running right down the center from top to bottom on the underside from over tightening the screws that hold on the red cover on either side. The chrome/mirror coating was the only thing holding it together. The ground connection between the bulbs runs through this section and it was arcing and blowing the bulbs. It drove me crazy.. and I would have never figured it out unless the thing finally fell apart in my hands when I was changing the bulb! As soon as I replaced the reflector the problem was totally solved!

just a guess it'd have to be something that would even out the voltage spikes... I don't have enough electronics experience to tell for sure, but I think a capacitor would take up a spike and let it out when you need more power.

But, like I said I'm not really sure.

plus aren't some lights AC on a moped?

Go with a set-up that lets you change bulb inside the sealed beam. Then you can substitute a higher wattage bulb that won't burn out so easily. don-ohio

Jonas Quimby /

And if you do that, remember that the Express electrical system is basicly running at it's limit as it is.

A higher wattage bulb might drain your battery.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account