tomos reed valve

Matt Delaman /

Hello I recently installed an Airsal kit on my 01 tomos lx and the reed valve leaks like crazy. I checked the bolts on the reed valve and they are tight. So I have no clue how to fix it. So any info on how to fix the leak it would be great.

Thank you,

Matt.

Re: tomos reed valve

How do you know the reed valve is leaking? And are you talking about the 4 bolts that hold the intake manifold to the engine?

Matt Delaman /

Hello I know it is leaking because gas leaks out. and yes I am talking about the four bolts that hold the intake manifold to the engine.

Don Pflueger /

well, if your gasket is in place like it should be, and if you used a very small amount of sealant on the mating surfaces, and..... if you used some blue loc-tite on the bolt threads, there should be no leaks. are you sure the gas isnt dripping or seeping from the carb somewhere higher up? i would think if you had a leak there that the engine would have running issues such as poor idle and stalling on acceleration. and plug chops would indicate a lean situation. so if you remove the reed cage, and use a straight edge to ensure its not warped, then reseal everything, you should be ok. but i would look very closely at the carb first.

John Joedicke /

If the reed was leaking you would not be able to keep the Tomos running. Did you clean the old gasket off the intake? Do as Don mentions. Take it apart, clean, goop it lightly and replace the 4 machine bolts with blue locktite on them. It is a bitch to get the allen wrench in there some times but keep working at it. Use ball end wrenches to get in on the angle.

Matt Delaman /

Ok thanks for all the info. but I have one last question would you happen to know what size allen wrench is.

Thanks,

Matt

John Joedicke /

Just looked at some. you need a 3mm allen wrench

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account