Kinetic TFR stock fuel jets too small

yo dudes I just finished repairing my brothers TFR and became curious of the fact that both my TFR and his TFR came with fuel jets that were too small for the mopeds in question to actually function. When I got mine it worked fine for about a week before it broke in and began to stall if I did not hold the choak down with my foot. I took the carb apart and widened the channel in the fuel jet out with a tiny file used to clean out tourches (and im talkin like the smallest damn file in existance yall, those fuel channles in the jets are almost to small for light to pass through) , Anyway, after I widened the fuel jet again it began to run better for about another week before the problem reoccured and was fixed in the same way.

my moped has run well ever since (about two months) and I actually hit 40mph on a downhill yesterday. At any rate my brother got his TFR at the same time I got mine and his has shown the exact same pattern of problems as mine has (i just widened his jet the second time this afternoon. as with mine his ran better for a week after I widened the jet before I had to work on it again (today) (he only started riding his recently). what I was wondering is are all new TFRs like this? do the jets need to be modified/replaced while they break in?

-Ryan (sorry bought the spelling im drunk)

Re: Kinetic TFR stock fuel jets too small

is the question "Did someone build a bike where the main jet needs to be bored out every week or so?"

i'd guess .. no.

Ryan Vandijk /

yes, but so far they work fine after two borings. like I said now mines running great.

Ryan Vandijk /

hell dude id guess no too but im lookin at the same occurance 2 out of 2 times.

are you familiar enough with these engines that we can rule out some weird thing like a fuel or an oil type that is messing with the carb and getting it dirty real fast?

maybe something like flakes of rust in the fuel system are clogging the main jet?

poking a wire into a jet is a temporary way to clear some crap out of it.. but every week? no way.

Ryan Vandijk /

not every week dude. only during the first like 2 weeks, while it is wholy plausible that the gas could be clogging it, the fuel filter is showing absolutly no blockage. if it was rust it would be in the filter. plus i can eisily blow air through the hole that the jet screws into.im also seeing no buildup in the floaterbowl. im telling you that thoses jets are way too small to acomidate the engin breaking in.

ok.. sorry bout that. i get you now .. for whatever reason, messing with the jets after a week on both bikes improved things.. and now the bikes run fine.

its hard to say whats up.. Bikes are tuned and set up differently for different destinations. Maybe you guys got bikes with carbs that were supposed to be sold in the Congo or in the Alps.. i dunno..

Ryan Vandijk /

thats what I was thinking too, were over in macon ga, and its currently pretty cold here so mabey these things were ment for warmer climate. we'll see what happens this summer when its like 90-95 outside, they may start flooding like hell. thanks for the input, im just wondering if anyone else had similar occurances.

"Maybe you guys got bikes with carbs that were supposed to be sold in the Congo or in the Alps.. i dunno.."

Couple of questions:

1) what size Jet did it come with?

a) TFR USA's come to us with 45 Jets, they run great in India with them, but no so great here in the states.

b) We replace the jets here with 48 Jets as a standard practice, unless the customer requires something else, (extra charge of course)

2) Did you call Cosmo?

a) we could have replaced that 45 with a 48 for you free of charge, but now that you bored it... $4.05 plus shipping and handling.

3) the above Quote has some truth to it for high altitude places IE Denver. so it also depends on where you are, whether that stock 45 works for you or not.

"Author: BZollo (---.cosmotor.com)

Verified User: bzofcosmoparts

Date Posted: 03-22-05 11:22

a) TFR USA’s come to us with 45 Jets, they run great in India with them, but no so great here in the states.

b) We replace the jets here with 48 Jets as a standard practice, . . . "

Hi Joe! -

You guys actually unpack those puppies from that angle iron and cardboard, replace the jets, and repack them?

"Hi Bruce"!!

I was sleeping at the helm again!

Sorry!

I think they may do just that. Mine had slits in the plastic sufficient to allow for such a change. I also suspect they install a gas filter. Mine had some gas in the tank so they may have also fired it up to be certain that it worked.

Normally...the bikes are PDI'd before they leave the building, recently this has included a re-jetting, Road Test, rear wheel alignment check...you can read about our PDI service on our web page under policies. The reason I said normally is there are times when we will ship out the ped untouched, its mostly to dealers who can do it themselves.

how ya doin Cyberian? no worries about the name mix up, just remember Im the better looking of the two ;)

I dont know where the gas in the tank came from, our mechanics use 1 liter soda bottles with fuel line like one of those IV things in the hospital. They by-pass the tank and go direct into the Carb.

I didn't try to drain the tank, I just noticed a strong smell of gas when I removed the gas cap and assumed it was from a small amount of gas left from testing it.

David Sherritze /

I recently bought two TFR USA from COSMO for my children.

We are still in the process of breaking them in.

This leads me to believe they have already been upjetted.

I was looking for a performance exhaust/upjet to gain some modest top end after we break them in good.

I would like to see a cruising speed of 35 or so.

We live in the panhandle of Florida, will I still need to upjet?

Any suggestions on a performance exhaust for the TFR?

we have Polini pipes for the TFR's give us a call

_how ya doin Cyberian? no worries about the name mix up, just remember Im the better looking of the two ;)_

That's not what 'twobolts' said! ;)

Re: Polini pipes -

Is that the one you have listed in your accessory flyer?

What ever happened to the Malossi 70cc kits??!!

I really like my TFR, but it needs a little more balls.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

My Tfr parts manual says main jet is 40 and pilot jet is 30. If the ped was bought from a Cosmo dealer and not Cosmo, they may have left the #40 jet in the carb. My 2 from Cosmo run great and I am not going to tear the carb apart to check the jet size. Jim.

Brentus Sioux y Cycle /

hey Bzollo, I'm ordering a moped in the next day or two. be really really nice to the blue one shipping down south, alright!

HAHA, I'll pass the word for ya Brent, I dont touch the Mopeds, thats all our shipper Doug, and he handles each one as if it were his child, just make sure you check it REAL good BEFORE you sing for it. Truckers aren't the best at reading the signs that say, this end up, and fragile, and do not top load...

Brent I saw your Order, its on Doug's Desk, may not ship for a day or two, the poor man is so backed up at the moment he needs a secretary to go the rest room for him.

Brentus Sioux y Cycle /

good looking out for me, maybe if he doesn't stay "backed up", he'll feel better! haha!! you guys have been good to me so far. just fear the truckers! hopefully all goes well.

what else other than polini do you have that is a good upgrade? any carbs? i may order some more stuff in a while.

BZollo, I also ordered my TFR on wendsday...maybe you guys can be really really nice to the red one being shipped to AZ?? Also, what type of things should we check for before we sign?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account