A3 accelereation problem

Nick Eiselstein /

I have a 1981 Tomos Silver Bullet with the A3 engine. The acceleration is very slow off the line. Anything I can do to fix this problem?

Re: A3 accelereation problem

clean carb... decarbonize exhaust port and exhaust pipe.

Shave the head! After you check the stuff Matt (Streetcruiser) mentioned in the post above. If you decide to shave the head, be sure to not run 87 octane anymore, though. 93 octane will do the trick. Also could get a good exhaust for it. I use the "Bullet" pipe on my 1980 Tomos Bullet.

NO BI-TURBO!! ( i am ashamed to be runnin one on my new Top Tank Bullet :-(

biturbo problem

i got a question.. bi-turbos get slammed and dissed so much it makes me wonder wtf is going on..

are all these bi-turbos two-piece?

and if they are two piece, are people leaving a bunch of extra header tube sticking into the diffuser when they mount the pipe to the bike?

if so, it's gonna kill any poewr gains the pipe would otherwise offer.

Re: biturbo problem

No Joew, only some motor kits offer the 2 piece Bi-Turbo JUNK. Only because of the special exhaust port angle. The regular Bi-Junks are one piece with removable silencer can(stinger?), with replaceable insulation in the can. But yeah, you are right on the 2 piece ones. That extra pipe in the ex. chamber would kill any sign(s) of gain.

anyone bother to check a bi-turbo pipe's dimensions and figure out what the trouble is? Seems like it's so bad it should be obvious.

Performance-wise, a pipe is a pipe .. the only major difference is the length or taper or diameter of the parts..

Don Pflueger /

the problem with a bi-turbo whether it be the one piece, or two piece, is the aluminum silencer that is pop riveted to the steel pipe. it has no mounting flange to support it so it basically hangs off the end of the pipe. and if you look at the people having the most trouble with the bi-turbo, i think you will find they are mostly in the 15-21 year age bracket. these younger guys ride their bikes much harder. wheelies, curb jumping, off road, trail riding, even seen one kid post a few years ago that he was riding his lx on a motocross track. i have a biturbo on both my tomos. had them each for more than 3 years now. mine are just as tight and perfect as they were new. some minor scratches, but otherwise perfect. i ride my bikes sensibly.

ahh..

Nick Eiselstein /

what do you mean by "shave the head"

Jeff Strahle /

yea i would like to know i'm thinking about doing it to my A-3. What exactly on the head do you shave? the little metal corners where the bolts go through? Let me know.

Jeff

Don Pflueger /

you shave the entire squish band all around the head. but never go more than .030" without measuring your piston rise first. otherwise it will hit.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account