A3 accelereation problem

Nick Eiselstein /

I have a 1981 Tomos Silver Bullet with the A3 engine. The acceleration is very slow off the line. Anything I can do to fix this problem?

Re: A3 accelereation problem

Don Pflueger /

what mods have you done? does it have the encarwi or delortto carb? when was the last time the exhaust was cleaned out?

Nick Eiselstein /

it is all stock. it has the encarwi carb on it...is the delortto better? I dont remember ever cleanging the exhaust out. I have stuck a wire brush in there a few times but i read about heating it up on this site and I have never done that nor will i myself since i really dont know what i am doing there. Any other ways to clean it out or should i take it somewhere or buy a new one. Also, i remember riding it last summer and when i would be stopped and open the throttle just a tiny bit it would die if i held it open just a little too long.

Don Pflueger /

idleing fine and dying when you give it gas is a good indication of a plugged exhaust. there should be a small screw at the end of the pipe on the inside near the wheel. take the screw out and the insert can be pulled out and cleaned. you should drop the whole xhaust and clean the port too. this may solve your running problem. another thing to check is compression. it may be low.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account