garelli super sport timing

How do you set the timing on a 1980 garelli super sport?? i looked at the MRA manual but the page is missing! please help. thanks

Re: garelli super sport timing

what do you need to know?

page 19 says .. point gap is 0.014 to 0.018 inches..

Unless the stator plate is movable (page 90), point gap adjustemnt the only ignition timing adjustment available.

opps.. i read further down on page19 and see the base plate is movable..

Basically, after adjusting point gap:

Using the timing light, set timing (timing light gets bright when points just crack open) at about 12 - 15 degrees before top dead center by moving the stator plate slightly.

If your timing is already close, leave it alone.. absolute precision here is not needed.

......and hopefully someone who is familiar with this bike and timing can join in.. or someone has the missing pages.

The timing is probably nearer to 20 degrees BTDC, and recheck point gap after rotating the plate,because the plate may move a little nearer or farther from the crankshaft lobe. Minarellis and Franco-Morinis time at 23 BTDC.

The mark is situated frontward from the magneto on the SS bike and Eureka, but on others it's back toward the chain sprocket. don-ohio (:^D

Justin Elliott /

Thanks guys. How do I know where 20 degrees BTDC is? I have a self powered timing light set up, I just need to know what im looking for. thanks again

Well.. there's 360 total degrees of rotation, so 20 degrees is pretty near TDC. Look closely and the factory may have already marked it for you, perhaps a "T" for timing.. somewhere near the TDC mark on the perimeter of the flywheel. A reference mark of some kind would be on the engine block. If you see one, move the piston to near TCD to find the other.

If you can find no marks, resize, print, cutout and tape a copy of THIS degree wheel onto your flywheel. Use a depth gauge to put the piston at TDC. Check THIS out for ideas.

Scribe as many degree marks onto the wheel as may come in handy someday..

Justin Elliott /

I have timing marks on the flywheel and case. the case has an arrow and the flywheel has a timing mark. Also it has three divots BTDC and one single divot at nearly but not quite 180 degrees BTDC. I need to know the procedure to set the timing. Set the flywheel at TDC and adjust the plate till the light goes on? Set at 20 BTDC and adjust? thanks for all your help

With a static timing light, set the flywheel (piston) at 20 degrees BTDC and adjust the plate till the light goes suddenly brighter.. tighten that down and then re-gap the points to specs.

An inductive timing light would work with the engine running.. stop the engine and adjust the plate according to where you see the flashes..

Justin Elliott /

I havnt got it running yet but thanks for your advise. Ill keep you posted. Thanks again

Justin Elliott /

I cant get the light to get brighter or dimmer it just stays on or off. Can i time using this light?

If it turns on when the points are open and off when they are closed it should work.

Justin Elliott /

so where should the points close? if i can set the flywheel to where the points should close I could easily adjust the plate. Do they close at 20 BTDC?

That is where they should open. Rotate the flywheel backwards until they are closed, then rotate it till the light comes on. At that moment the points have opened and it should be 20 DBTDC. If it is not twenty degrees then loosen the plate and rotate it to where it is 20 DBTDC.

spark happens when the points just begin to open.

Justin Elliott /

the wheel spins counterclockwise. which side of TDC is BTDC? The right side right?

Justin Elliott /

i still cant get it set. the flywheel spins counterclockwise when running. but it seems the window of the light not being on (compression) doesnt coincide with 20 DBTDC as the ignition time. It seems that the light just goes off right before TDC and doesnt come on again until almost 0 degrees BDC. thats so far past Im not sure what to do. heres a pic of my flywheel

1111440325_untitled.jpg

The divots are in the correct general area to be timing marks..

Try this.. it's a trailerpark method of ignition setting that will get you in the ballpark.

Get a piece of cigarette paper and slide it between the points' contacts. Slowly rotate the flywheel while tugging on the paper. As soon as the points open the paper is released and that's where spark happens.

This should happen near where the divot marks and engine block mark are in alignment. If so, you're close.

As far as the timing light, my guess is it's not hooked up correctly or you dont have enought battery voltage to make it bright enough to see.

Whenever i've done it, the light is obviously on (but dim) all the way around 360 degrees.

You could also find the pistons top dead center, use the degree wheel that joew sent you to find which divot is 20 degrees BTDC. Remove the spark plug, rotate the flywheel to line up that mark with the engine mark. Now stuff a rope in the spark plug hole to hold it at the 20 degrees and set the points to open there.

Justin Elliott /

I found the problem. my woodruff key had sheared off rendering my timing worthless. i think the flywheel may have been tweeked causing the woodruff to break. ill keep ya posted thanks for all your help

very cool.. a bit of a reward after quite a struggle..

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account