Never let a girl ride your ped: HELP!

Stupid me let one of Jarret's girl friends ride my Tomos. She went head on into a cement wall at about 15 mph. All I think it did was hurt my dignity, and bent the forks back. What do you guys suggest I do to get them bent back: they are bent right below the bottom half of the "triple tree." Thanks a ton.

Re: Never let a girl ride your ped: HELP!

Sorry, bad description of where they are bent. They are bent just below the headlight, where the "brace" thing that comes down from the triple tree is.

See Ya Moped Army /

Replace them with a good used set of straight forks.

NUU!!!! come on man. I don't have the money.... there has to be a way. If they were bent like that, they can be unbent! I was thinking of disassembling the whole fork assembly, then puttin a pipe or what not over the tubes, close to the bend point, securing the Tomos, and straightening them.

make the chic who wrecked it pay or at least help pay for repairs

dissassemble everything, mount it back on the wrong side, and hit a wall going at 15mph...

haha, just joking!

your method may work

g.b.

lol i like gb's idea

LOL G.B! Joe, you are very right, I should have her help me pay for the damages... But being the nice guy that I am, I won't. What made my stomach bottom, was that I watched the whole ordeal, and couldn't do a thing to prevent it. Joe, do you think my method will work? Or do you suggest something else? Thanks guys.

well if you dont have the cash for replacement forks its worth a try just how badly bent are they?

The way the pros do it is with a torch, I have used a blow torch with braising fuel (the hottest burning gas) it burns hotter than propane. heat where you want the metal to bend till it's red hot and apply pressure in a way to bend it the way you want. The secret is to be very carefull and take your time if done wrong you can cause more damage, moped forks are very thin. And onley heat where you want to bend it should not take much force to bend the metal back. You will also destroy your pain job and will need to repaint but I have a feeling your paints already damaged. Honestly I would take the advice to buy a new set they wont be more than $100.00ca just start saving. I would do anything for my peds, Good Luck

Don Pflueger /

sounds like me last summer when i watched this girl friend of mine wreck my lx at about 20 mph. the bike cartwheeled, but managed to survive without a scratch.

OK, They aren't too bad, maybe oh bout 3 inches at the bottom bent back. I don't want to torch it, simply because it'll destroy the original Blue paint. The paint is fine. The tire was all that hit, and it caused the forks to be bent back. I'll see what I can do this weekend. If it comes down to me having to buy a new set of forks, a girl is going to get a visit from the Midvale Mafia's Cheif: Me.

wow.. messing with girls.. drive without a helmet .. you be fearless ;)

Yep. That I am. Pretty soon, I'll have my license so I can ride at night, too! Joew, what do you think? You seem to know whats hot, and whats not!

well.. i know better than to mess with girls .. they are expert manipulators and have a memory an elephant would admire.. but i guess you're talking about the forks.

Safety would be my big concern as far as the repair goes, no matter how it's done. Damn steering and front suspension on these bikes kinda sux, bordering on dangerous at top speed, even when everything is perfectly straight. I have a couple bent lower fork tubes and decided against trying to straighten them .. forget exactly why.

Following MoPedLar's advice would be my advice if you can scrounge up a couple bucks.

Damn. I was hoping you weren't going to say that! Well, I'll try and fix them. I've fixed/replaced everything else on this old moped. That girl will be getting a visit if I can't fix them. She rode it, she wrecked it, she's responsible. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens. Thanks Joew.

Hydraulic presses in motorcycle shops will work.

THey will laugh at you though and those machines arn't meant for bending such lightweight stuff

thye could snap.

AHA! Just remembered in my shop at school we have some presses! Thanks a ton, John! This might have to wait till Monday... I'll tear it apart this weekend, see what my grandpa says (he don't know yet) about bending them back... I'll keep you guys posted, but Thanks again, John, I'd forgot completely about the tools we have at school in Truck Mechanics!

I hope she had her helmet on.

1111119646_bliss.jpg

Nope, but thats a good pic. She didn't have one on, just sunglasses. NOBODY (except me) ain't ridin me moped anymore!

Don Pflueger /

lol. i bet you wish you didnt sell me that g.b. right about now. lol

To make you feel better 8 years ago in highschool I let my girlfriend ride my Gitan and she also wiped out scrached up my pedals but thats it. I have never let anyone ride any of my bikes since then.

I straightened the fork tubes on my Norton with a press and they came out OK.

Go real slow. You have to overbend them as they will tend to spring back to the shape they are in now. If your school has a measuring surface this is the best thing to check for straightness as you work thru the problem.

Good Luck.

I cannot believe no ladies have replied yet.

Ask and you shall receive.. No girl will want to ride your moped again, or ride you for that matter.

After she loses the battle, she'll probably end up marrying Brock and torture him for the rest of his life.. winning the war.

Richard Wisniewski /

ahahahahaa

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That ain't gonna happen. She's only like 14, and I just turned 18. Thats called statutory rape where I come from! OK guys, today its like 60+ degrees!!! That girl is going to get an earful from me. This is beautiful mopedding weather.

True. We need some moped riding ladies to swarm this thread. Keep in mind it's not that she was a girl, but that she probably had no idea how to ride a moped.

I hit a wall the first time I rode. I was 7 and on a Honda minitrail. Didn't know to let off the gas to brake. It's made for a funny story ever since then, and just part of learning.

What have you learned? Don't let inexperienced riders ride your bike expecting them to take it around the block like someone who's already gotten bored with 30-35 miles and hour after 6 months and kitted the hell out of their tomos.

Not you, just saying, if you don't ride, you don't know how. It's not a bicycle.

i let my sister ride my old honda pa50 she hit a parked car i probably should of told her that the brakes didnt work it was funny anyways

for now just ride it with the bent fork fix it later

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account