bad horsepower all of the sudden

Clayton Violand /

I'm still having problems.

Ever since two weeks ago, when I was riding my Peugeot, it has been slower than usual. It just doesn't have that kick anymore and it has a bad top end, significantly lower than before.

Heres the story:

i was riding two weeks ago and it just stopped running. I think I've discovered thats becuase it was starving for fuel. I added more fuel, and it was fine. However, ever since that happened to it- its been running in its poor state. It starts now- but not as easily as before. Also- i cleaned the carb (a week after the problem started). It solved nothing.

Please help. I need my horsepower back.

-Clay

Re: bad horsepower all of the sudden

Did you check the exhaust port? It may be clogged. When you say, it starved it for fuel, did it run out? I mean, did it soft-seize?

Clayton Violand /

ya, it soft seized (i think thats the term- it just cut out really gently and just didnt make an explosion, everything else sounded perfect). i just kept on pedling it at a stand still with the center stand up till it started again- it would run for a little bit, then soft seize again. that continued until i filled up the tank again- then it was fine. now it just runs real slow.

do you have an AIM screen name we can talk on right now?

FIRST...ALWAYS replace the spark plug. They can seem fine and cause no end of trouble. Then.......

... it just doesn't sound like a soft-seize to me. Sounds like maybe the fuel isn't getting to and thru the carburetor. Check for fuel flow into the float bowl(Gurtner?). Does it have a fuel drain screw? If so,loosen it and see what kind of gas flow you have. don-ohio (:^)

Clayton Violand /

perhaps the float bowl is sticking?? i have an extra float- maybe I'll install it, even though the one in it right now is newer.

Clayton Violand /

i replaced the spark plug with an old spark plug- and it seemed to run better. I think one possibility is its "four-stroking". It sounds like its firing like half the time than normal maybe???? It just gets to a certain point and it doesn't push anymore.

HELP

You added fuel and it was fine; I would pull the petcock and see if there isn't an obstruction in the tank. When you added the fuel it may have moved away due to you pouring in the fuel. Something may be settling around the petcock, dirt, water or rust.

Ben Van Zoest /

Considering the age of the ped the gas tank can be full of gook, you got to clean it and the filters, replace the hose with a new urethane gas line. Good luck!

Clayton Violand /

So anyway- ya i solved it and I feel like an idiot.

I realized that it was constantly being partially choked. When I installed my new break/choke lever, i tightened the choke cable too much, so it was restrictin air even when the choke was off. Dangit.

At least its fiixed- I'm happy.

Thanks guys.

Ben Van Zoest /

Yea, you didnot tell us about the choke lever, here we sat scrathing our heads...

I was scratching my butt!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account