Puch - RATTLE!

So when I got my Puch Newport, I'd ride it around and it was fine - but when I'd get about 28 or so this deafening rattle buzz weird noise would come roaring out of the engine. I posted on here a few times and nobody could figure out what it was.

I thought what the hell... I'll put a new kit on it - maybe it's the piston. So I just finished installing my Athena kit, and I'm driving it around the neighborhood trying to slowly break it in. And low and behold - when I hit 28 REEAAAAANNNGHHHHHH. It's really a horrible horrible noise. What could be causing it?!?!

Re: Puch - RATTLE!

Could be one of the ball bearings wearing out, either on the crank or the transmission. Does it go away above 28? Or continue to make the noise?

The only other thought I have is that a clutch shim is worn. Maybe coming from the intake if there is a restriction in the filter, getting dirty. Worn chain or sprocket. Loose bolt. my thoughts.

Ben Van Zoest /

These engines have limitations to the number of revolutions any recipecal engine does. At a certain point the physical limit is maxest out causing vibrations, misfiring due to inaduguate fuel and spark timing. You may need a speed crank shaft! It would be ruinous too, if you would run your car with the pedal to the floor all the time. Originally mopeds where designed to top out at a safe speed commensurating with it's poor brake performance and mixing with bicyles on bike paths. If you desire the 'need for speed' a moped is not the answer...

It goes way above 28, and the vibration stops after that. It's like a certain speed causes a certain something to vibrate, and it's loud as crap.

I've searched everywhere for a bolt - even took my horn off in case it was tapping agaist the headlight or something. It sounds like it's from somewhere near or in the engine.

Where exactly is the Cluch Shim?

Unfortunately it's been doing this since I got it - when it was a stock newport. It didn't do it the first day I had it, and then after that it started. I'm not really looking for crazy speed - just enough to pull me up a hill on a main street so cars aren't tailing me.

Believe it or not, a loose fender,chain guard, or loose chain or sprocket can cause a terrible racket at a certain speed. Check all tightness of these parts and check your swingarm and engine mounting bolts and exhaust brackets too.

don-ohio (:^D

They are washers that are between the clutch housing, clutch and the starter cluch plate. They are pretty loose in there. I have mine apart right now.

It sounds like something is vibrating at the frequency that is created around 28 MPH. It will do it again at 56 MPH but you don't have to worry about that!! Put it on the kickstand and increase the gas and see if it does it with no load on the wheels. If it does then you may be able to find it.

Another item that is not very tight and may make a noise is the engine sprocket. It sits loose on the splined shaft and may cause that noise.

Hope this helps.

It will do it if I'm not sitting on it... it just seems to come somewhere from the engine area. I can't really pick it out.

Where exactly is the engine sprocket?

I just put this damned thing back together - now I've gotta pull it all apart again.

Maybe something with the seat is loose. The post in the frame may be doing it.

Eh - I might just have to pull the whole thing apart and put it back together. That or just live with it.

Maybe a nut, screw or clip or something else was dropped in the frame at one time and it just vibrates when you hit that speed.

If you have been riding it and nothing else has happened it may not be much to worry about except for the agrivating whine. If it was a bearing I would think it would do it at all speeds, but then again who knows.

For now, just keep away from 28!!! go 29!!

Ben Van Zoest /

I am wondering, how many miles on the engine?

Ben Van Zoest /

Never liked the way the PUCH drive sprocket fastening, only a puny circle clip. What were they thinking?

At least the SACHS engine sprocket is bolted on...

On the noise, perhaps the starter clutch plate is the cause?

Just a thought by looking at the clutch..

only seriously loud high speed rattle i ever had was a cracked flywheel boss .. sounded like it was raining pots and pans

Do you think it could be that I need to put some oil in the gearbox?

Sorry, that was incorrect - it's 4880

worth a try!

Jason Luther /

is the oil at the proper level?get a stethescope and have someone rev the engine, then listen. my maxi's reflectors were loose and would make a terrible noise, so i shimmed then out with cardboard.-jason

Hey!

Puchs don't have poor brake performance!

I skid to a stop all the time to avoid idiots in cars talking on their cellphones!

I put a smaller front sprocket on the bike to increase some off-the-line speed. And I took it out for a test run - now it makes the noise at like 16-18mph.

Does that help any? I seriouly can't find anything that would be making that noise...

Check the flywheel and the magnets inside for being loose on the crank. But it might be crank bearings especially if it's a 2-speed. They seem to wear a lot.

If I owned a Puch 2-speed I'd be runnin' 32:1 synthetic 2-stroke just because of the crank bearings. don-ohio (:^)

Is this thing supposed to be really loose? I can just push it around with my finger.

Pardon if this is a stupid question - it's my first time inside a Puch engine.

This is probably weird, but this is the upmost priority right now - I have to have this thing running asap. I can pay you money if you can walk me through this rattle problem. If you could take a call, please email your number.

Thanks,

Beamer

1112326427_img_7975_small.jpg

That looks like the starter clutch disc and yeah..........it is probably supposed to be loose. That must be a single-speed engine,right? Doesn't the cover you took off that have a lever that pushes in on the center of that disc to engagethe starter?

On Minarellis and Franco-Morinis, that disc pushes in and that makes the pedals, or rear wheel if you're coasting, start the engine cranking. I'd have to look in a manual to check it out. You really need a service manual for it.

It's pretty technical stuff to disassemble that tranny and put it back together right if you're not used to it. So be really careful if you do, and make sure to put the shims back EXACTLY where they came from. don-ohio

Yeah- that thing is definitely just loose in there. My puch is off the road right now because I had one of those little pins somehow shear off inside the motor and jam the transmission. It's locked up solid until i pull it apart and find the little chunk of metal. I just consider myself lucky the gear didn't break itself free and strip off any teeth or crack a gear.

Bernard said -

_You may need a speed crank shaft!_

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm not really familiar with Puch engines (or Moped engines in general, for that matter), so what would a speed crank do to eliminate a rattle?

Thanks,

Dave

hey man.. i have had that same noise.. is it a loud ticking? try to adjust your timing untill the sound it gone.. that sound could be the engine firing at the wrong time causing a weird rattle.. it seems to be a problem with older puch engines

I'm putting the bike all back together, once it's there I'll try to record the sound.

Hey Beamer...

I had the same kinda noise on my 77 Newport... I couldn't figure out if it was coming from the front wheel bearings... or maybe a leakin exhaust manifold or head gasket blowin air... it's just like a raspy rattle that gets louder as you increase speeds..... totally annoying... I still haven't figured it out completely... but I recently changed my front wheel hub.. cleand the brakes and greased the bearings and gave the speedo sending unit a shot of white lithium grease and it seemed to quiet down.. it's nowhere near what it was..

Let me know what happpens and if you can figure it out it'd be awesome!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account