bad condenser?

tomos A3 you read right...i think i might have a bad condenser...im not getting any spark but i am getting power for lights...i have checked the spark coil (spark plug) and i have no spark..then i checked the wire feeding the coil coming from the case and no power coming from that either...i then followed the wire till i found it connected to the condenser...this wire was spliced at the condenser and connected to the point....i then cleaned the point and had no success..i just checked to see if there was any power going to the condenser from the blue wire that comes from the top coil..no luck...funny... the blue wire coming from the other end of the coil is giving me power and this coil also feeds the condenser and point from its other end...so whats up with this??

how can the coil feed the lights but not the condenser?? is the coil two coils? i dunno but i need help bad. suggest any hacks...i dont care about my horn..i am more willing to rig this in the shabbyest way rather than spend a crap ton of money on a replacement part....last i saw, a coil kit was 119$$...that sux.

look at my pic if you dont understand.

thx,

mike c

1110919938_problem.jpg

better picture

this will help...maybe

thx mike

1110920471_problem.jpg

Re: better picture

See Ya Moped Army /

The lights are run off a separate coil in the magneto. You can have no spark but still have lights.

i have 3 wires coming out of my case..1 feeds the coil = black

2 feeds the horn = yellow

3 feeds the lights = blue

this is from following the diagram at moped riders in the A3 shop manual. how can the coil feed the condenser and the lights...while the lights work... there is no power going to the condenser from this same coil? in other words, the coil works for the lights but the wire coming out of the opposite end of the same coil doesnt feed the condenser....is it that the condenser charges off a ground to the case and then is sent back into the lights-coil and points which charges the spark coil?..its just a guess but dose the condenser charge off the moped ground in the A/C circuit?.well i dunno whats wrong but this sux.

thx for any help

mike c

also

i just checked the points gap ad its .16...i thinks it supposed to be about .35-.45 according to the Manuel..could the points gap being so small causing a arc and not allowing the spark plug to fire?

thx

mike c

Re: also

Mike, what you smokin? Anyhow, Ok! Take the Blue wire from the condenser and stick it onto the ground, that wire needs to have a ground for that bike to get any kind of spark. The yellow wire is what runs the horn, headlight and the tail light. The blue wire is the ignition/brake wire. It has to have a constant ground. When it come off th etstor, it is split into 2 grey wires, one up to the kill switch, one back to the brake light. This is explained why in the following sentences. When the ignition switch is in the run posistion, that blue wire is being grounded. Now, when the brake(s) are pulled, the circuit is that normally goes to the kill switch is opened, so the juice runs back to the brake light, then to ground. This is done so that if the brake light blows out the bike will no run when the brakes are applied. Oh, the black wire is hooked up right. That should do it.

I been workin on my A-3's for bout a year now, they are all I work on. I don't mess with much else, besides helpin my buddies a little on their mopeds. I've had my moped completely apart, down to the last bolt. Motor/tranny's been apart couple a' times. I'm having some brake light issues now. My resistor is bad in the tail light (yes there's one in there), and my bulb is blown. I rigged it up by doin what I told you to to: Ground that Blue wire, for now!

ooooooooooooooook.....thats all i needed to know..i wasent sure if the blue wire fed the condenser through a grounded connection...thx a crap ton...and why do u ask if im smokin something? my question was legitimate...right?

thank you!

mike c

Re: bad condenser?

Don Pflueger /

lights and coil are separate circuits. check your tail light bulbs tho. you should have power on the blue wire going to the coil, not the black.

Don Pflueger /

yes, they run off the yellow wire.

Don Pflueger /

yellow goes to the regulator for lights and horn. blue goes to the coil and kill switch. black is the ground for points and condensor.

Don Pflueger /

.014"-.016" or 35mm-45mm. theres two different measurements but they are the same gap width.

Don Pflueger /

the blue wire does not connect to the condensor. it comes from the 6v charging coil. it is the power lead for the ht (ignition coil). you may have a bad brake light bulb. ignition on tomos is grounded thru the brake light.

CORRECTAMUNDO! it works!.....shew i thought i had a bad coil or condenser, and to be as far along as this moped is, in being finished i was gonna cry if i had to replace just one more motor part! thx allot...i think you guys maybe surprised how well this ped is looking compared to where it came from...about 200$ in parts later and now a working plug means today maybe its maiden voyage...btw, tomos a3's with the kick plates removed and the kick plate flanges cut off make the bike look awfully close to an old triumph bike...just smaller with pedals.

thanks once again yall,

mike c

Good to hear man! Sorry about me thinkin you was smokin something. I just was a bit confused about the statements. Yes, your question was well asked, and legitimate.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account