Puch plug gap at 30?!!!

Went to replace plug on my '81 Puch LTD, expecting, as the manual stated, to find a plug with a gap of 40-50. Instead, found a gap of 30. Talked to my old mechanic who rebuilt engine and he said he always gaps Puch plugs at 30-32 because he feels they perform better and burn plugs out less frequently.

Anybody else do this? Reactions? Benefits? Detriments? Long term problems?

He's been wrenching Puchs for twenty or more years, so I feel I have to at least give it a listening.

Re: Puch plug gap at 30?!!!

Generally, manufacturers specify a large gap to resist fouling. Depending on the tuned condition of an engine and running conditions, you can get by with a smaller gap.

A small gap requires a lower voltage to arc the points so there's less stress on the coil. The distance the spark has to travel is one factor in determining how much voltage is needed to arc across the plug... if everything is right, it can work fine.

But a small gap fouls easier, so if there's water or too much oil in the mix or if the mix is too rich, it can foul. A tiny drop of something can bridge the gap. Another thing is length of the spark is shorter, which is ok as long as the engine is in tune and mixture ratio is correct, especially at low rpms.

A high performance engine with high compresion ratio at high rpms would call for a smaller gap for best performance, but the ignition has to be fast and healthy enough to provide it under those conditions.

Keep the plug clean and adusted and everything else in tune .. and a small gap won't be noticed.

Puch Service manual says gap is .016 - .020

.016" is about .40mm and .020 " is near .50 mm

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account