MAGNETO COVERED IN RUST

I just pulled my Maxi from storage and pulled of the magneto cover to clean the points, but found _i swear_ about a 3mm thick layer of orange rust all over EVERYTHING, i couldn't even _see_ the points to clean them. Can someone advise?

Re: MAGNETO COVERED IN RUST

I would suggest blowing it with compressed air to clear some off, turn your head or wear glasses, then WD40 like crazy and hit it with a stiff bristle brush. maybe a toothbrush

i never heard of that .. never happened to me. Sounds like you stored it someplace with a hell of a lot of humidity like in a laundry room? or next to a bunch of swimming pool chemicals or something. Maybe a tarp over the bike made it worse by restricting air circulation?

Was it "sunken treasure?"

Ja'Far Rogers /

i stored it in a garden shed with two other bicycles(no rust) and a law mower (rusted to immobility)

maybe next year spray the crap out of it with WD40 .. that stuff displaces moisture and won't damage anything i can think of, cept maybe the brake drums, which shouldn't be oiled ;)

Protection might last for a couple months. A good wash in the Spring will clean it all off.

Ja'Far Rogers /

thank you all for your help, i'll proceed with the repair tomorrow morning

Ja'Far Rogers /

ok i got into the magneto and sprayed it up with WD-40 then scrubbed it with a tooth brush, i didn't have a flywheel tool to get behind the guard but i cleaned as much as i could. before i wasn't getting a spark at all because of the rust and now i'm getting an intermittent spark and it's making for a hard start. should i spray some more lubricant to free it up a little more?

You may want to clean the lubricant off the points when your done cleaning. The point contacts should be free of all oils. It would be best if you could get the flywheel off. There is probably rust on the ends of the coils and you would need to clean these so the magnets in the flywheel have a good source to generate the magnetic field to the coils.

Re: MAGNETO IS GOOD SHAPE, moped won't stop :(

Ja'Far Rogers /

ok, i finally cleaned up the points and ignition coil and readjusted the points. i don't know what happened but it actually started up the first time with lots of low-end power, i took it for a spin and achieved 40mph, that's 7mph more than it used to be. Unfortunately, it _won't stop_. I tried the kill switch but it has no effect, before the winter it was working and now it doesnt. It will go into idle for a bit when i park it on the stand but then the motor will start working some more and spin the wheel, the only solution I have so far is to shut off the fuel supply which works until the float bowl is dry. I assumed it was the throttle slack and readjusted it to factory specs but nothing it didn't solve the problem.

what can i do to fix it?

oh and i've just realized that for reasons of safety and good form I'm no longer interested in performance parts, 40mph on a moped is some crazy shit and I must say it's pushing my envelope just a _little_ too far.

See Ya Moped Army /

replace the switch.

for now, it would be a good idea to remove the sparkplug cap when stopping the moped

your kill switch most likely got corroded and u just need to wire brush it.

40 is pretty fast on those skinney little tires. Use WD 40 on the switch to loosen the rust and clean the contact areas. if that doesnt do it get to the bacl of the switch, start the bike, take a jumper wire and toch both connections with the jumper. If it kills the engine the switch is problem. You could get a push button to mount on it temporarily, like a door bell button.

You can put some carburator cleaner in the gas and run that awhile to loosen any old gum in the carb. With the engine warmed up to operating temp, adjust the idle speed to where the wheel doesn't spin. Worst case is to tear down the carb and clean it out real good. Drain the tank of all old gas and blow that out too.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account