motobecane trouble

yeah

I got this motobecane mobylette. I guess it wasn't the wisest choice but i'm pretty happy with it.

There are some problems though.

And it seems like the more i tinker with it the worse it's getting.

well anyways here's the problem.

When i go to start the sucker sometimes the pedals spin freely. Actually not sometimes all the time, So anyways i was wondering if anyone knew what was going on?

I had another post on the same topic but it seemed to have disapeared.

Oh yea get this new problem that recently surfaced.

When i can get it to pedal this happends sometimes.

the motor only gets minor movement. kinda like there's a loose belt that's not grabbing hard enough somewhere.

Any Ideas where i could get the manual would be hugely appreciated.

maybe the plans too.

Somebody posted that before or gave me a link

Thanks

Rob.

Re: motobecane trouble

see that "Search" link up there? Search: type in your nickname .. Robbie_20 ..

Select "Author" and with the down arrow select "All dates". The thread you're talking about will appear..

"Search" is handy .. type in "motobecane" or "mobylette" or something and select "Message Bodies" ..you never know what's gonna pop up.. most of it can be useful.

Motobecanes start by a centrifugal clutch. When you pedal the clutch automatically engages, however, its grip usually isn't strong enough to overcome compression. Make sure that the decompression valve on the top of the cylinder is working.

See Ya Moped Army /

There's a switching mechanism on the large pulley that the belt rides on. Make sure that mechanism is fully turned to the moped mode and not the bicycle mode. Sometimes that mechanism can hang up between the two modes and can cause problems like you're talking about. In some cases, the teeth on that mechanism can be worn and it won't stay locked in either mode. In that case, you'd have to replace that mechanism.

I think mopedlar naile the problem right on the head.

Any ideas where I could find this part.

Rob

Courtis Fuller /

Um.. I think its on your rear wheel.

Search for "Motobecane" on eBay. I saw this part on there when I was browsing recently.

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

I think i may have an extra lever lock if you want it. I am thinking something like $7.50 for the whole assembly, plus actual shipping costs. email me if you are interseted.

I think Ben is right

I don't know though. I kinda seems like there's a gerar that has lost all of it's teeth. The moped runs fine and switches between pedal and motor mode quite fine.

I just have to run fast and hard and to be honest it's quite exhausting and not very fun.

Rob

hey robbie here is another fix. you can either buy a real motobecane belt or, go to a small engine repare shop and buy one that is very close to the right size. if your lever lock is in fact working propperly then that has to be it. your belt is stretched and worn hence not grabbing the clutch. what year is your bike? i dont think it is your rear wheel. their isnt much to them. i had my freewheel bind up on my and what that did was constantly drive the pedal chain making the pedals constantly spin. other then the freewheel their isnt a whole lot to the rear wheel. if you want i know a place you can call to get a real motobecane belt. i think they go for like 10 plus shipping. if you want email or call me and i can get you all the info for the shop or what not.

I really not convinced it's a belt issue. The pedals would lock into position when they used to be abled to engage. As time went on and the force of my pedalling acting I could feel a distinct breaking sensation. To me it only made sense that the teeth were snapping off. Now the pedals do not grab at all they just spin freely. The year is 1970 it's a motobecan

Rob

maybe leave me your phone # and I'll give you a call

Rob

Robbie,

If the pedals just spin freely, and don't do any work, then it sounds like the freewheel hub is broken. You can get new ones (exact original) for around $15.

this sounds pretty accurate where is the freewheel hub located?

Rob

On the rear wheel, right side of the machine as you are seated on it.

The pedal crank has a chainwheel, and a chain runs between it and the freewheel hub. I assume the chain is there?

Freewheel hub shoud be stamped 'ATOM' if it's the genuine part.

if you wanna give me a call my number is (810)357-8162. if you want to give the shop a call for parts their number is (269)344-1977. they know their stuff and are good to help out.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account