i cant catch a braek

ok ive been makign alot of post lately about my 2000 targa lx but thankfully this one isnt about a serious problem.my turn signals dont work. i dont know why, they worked like 2 months ago but i took them off because i kept breaking them off while getting on and off but anyways i put them on today and nothing. any suggestions? im thinking maybe the flasher is bad and thats why but i dont know. how would i check that?

Re: i cant catch a braek

in my experience when flasher units go bad the lights illuminate but dont flash. Trace the wires using the electrical diagram and you may find an improperly wired or broken 'hot' connection or ground.

If all 4 lights do not do not share a common ground and hot wire (very likely situation) and all 4 do not light up, then the fault is probably closer to the engine, where a 4-to-1 or two 2-1 connections may exist.

Bobby Smith /

oki tried them on the front and nothing still u said it might be a connection from the engine?

it was just a guess.. whatever's wrong is affecting all four lights and main connectors in the harness are usually somewhere between front and rear, near the engine.

So, do you get nothing at all from the 4 bulbs? Have you checked the switch connections with a meter to see if power is getting to the switch hot + wire (and that the switch's ground is solid)?

Electrical problems are usually caused by very simple things. Finding that very simple thing is the very hard part.

Bobby Smith /

i tested all the wires wherre the signals hook up but not the switch should i just take it off to check or what?

Bobby Smith /

i have power and the connections for the signals but they still dont light up. maybe somehow the bulbs got changed? i dont know what kind of bulbs should i be using in my signals ill pick up another pair and see what happens

Bobby Smith /

i fixed it it was the flasher i bought a new one just to try but i ddint think it was the cause since joew said they should light up. thanks for the help

Bobby Smith /

here we go again. well they dont work again but i dont know why. they worked on my way to work and on my way home nothijng

Common flasher units are basically a bi-metallic switch. Electricity passes through the closed switch and the turn signal bulb lights up.

But that flow of electricity heats up the metal in the switch. One side then bends from the heat and a little set of points open. This cuts power to the bulb and the bulb goes off. The switch quickly cools and the cycle repeats itself... on, off, on, off.

Since you put a new flasher in and that seemed to help, maybe just disturbing the wiring in that area was what fixed the problem. Like you might have a stripped wire or a broken wire in there someplace. Or, a bad connection could have burned out that new switch.. (but check that flasher before assuming it is actually burned.. no point in wasting money on a new one if that one is still ok).

Examine the flasher's plug connector and all related wiring nearby. Use a multimeter (or ohm meter or continuity checker) and make sure the hot wires are never grounded to the frame, and that the turn signal ground wires certainly are grounded.

why not just gut the whole turn-signal thing?

there would beless clutter in the wiring harness,

less weight, and ya dont need to fix em!!!

Sorry for the multiple posts, I couldnt

put this where i wanted

Bobby Smith /

i had ther signals off but im tired of doing hand signals when cops are around so i put them back on plus i dont like riding in the rain with one hand

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account