Solution to the Sealedbeam Headlight

Just thought I would pass something along. Last summer I was plagued with headlight problems on my 75 Maxi (bulbs kept blowing) the original assembly took a sealed beam which cost $40.00 to replace that to blew. I set out to find a solution to this problem and reduce the cost of buying sealed beam head lamps. I can't tell you of the top of my head the manufacturer but certain companies make sealed beams with metal backings (mainly Italian/European) as opposed to solid glass. Using a blowtorch or jet lighter one can heat the rim of the sealed beam to melt the glue and open the sealed beam. After that a $1.00 6-12v bulb can be inserted using a bracket or your imagination. This only works if the headlight is made from 2 pices (or it can be separated/opened) a solid glass sealed beam will not work. I have done this and I use 12v on my Maxi with no reduction in illumination and better yet no more blown 6v bulbs and I have $40.00 in my pocket. If done right and with time and patience it looks identical to the original. "Oh how I envy those Puch's that take bulbs vs sealed beams

Re: Solution to the Sealedbeam Headlight

i've seen that a few of us have done this and i recommend it too..

i siliconed in a reflector-type 12V 25W Halogen in mine.. something like this

about $5 from Home Depot.. took an hour to carefully pry the lens out of the bike's metal reflector. After unsoldering and removing the blown bulb in the rear of the reflector, the new bulb and lens were siliconed into place. Silver soldered the wire contacts.. only low beam but who cares..

That pic looks like a "projector" bulb, like teachers use.

it's not .. it's some kinda low-voltage, household track lighting replacement spot light..

Although all halogens do get hot, those projector bulbs get so hot they need infrared filter glass and a fan to protect the projector.

Halogens are nice and bright but since they get hot I used silver solder (and a short length of high-temp-insulation wire) instead of low temp electrical on the wire connections.. After a few months of usage i'm not worried bout it coming loose.

Cool. I know a guy from a place that does strictly business with all kinds of electric stuff...batteries, generators, you name it. The place is called Northern Mobile Electric. I gave him one of my tail lights the other day. I told him, "I can't find 6 volt bulbs anywhere." He said he'd get a box of ten! Yes, 6 volt 10W. If I can, I could get more, even of different wattages, and sell them to people for what I paid for them, by the box that is! Always good to have a backup, or nine.

maybe take a poll and estimate if enough people will order to make it worth the trouble. The guy you get them from might charge a bit extra if it becomes tedious, and so should you, imo.

Solution to the Sealedbeam Headlight

But what kind of bracket? That's really the question.

somebody post a picture of this, i have heard about it a bunch but never seen a really good set up, plus i treid to make one last summer and it was jsut a pain in the ass, maybe i ll try again

doesnt handy bikes or moped warehouse seel a "conversion" kit

Jason Luther /

you can get a light bulb type head lamp off of ebay pretty cheap. it looks just like the puch headlight, but uses a replacable bulb. the headlamp on my bianchi looks exactly the same as my puch's, but uses a bulb.-jason

Wow in Canada you can get 6v almost anywhere I get mine at Canadian Tire $2.00 for 2.

If you guys make it worth my while I could buy a bunch and send them to a location, but onley one place Im not going to send 1 bulb to 10 people all across the States. You guys could deal with them from there. I would love to trade 6v bulbs for Puch parts I would pay the diffrence for the parts. Mopeds are cheaper in America and parts easyer to come by.

marshall, he's talking about the headlight, SEALED BEAM.

it comes with the glass and everything...

it's all sealed together...

canadian tires doesnt have 6v sealed beam

John Joedicke /

But tractor/farm supply places do

In that case I have no idea I paid $40.00 for a new sealed beam. They are expensive and difficult to find hence the reason for my post on modification of the sealed beam. Oh I just tried to modify a solid glass sealed beam last night using a blow torch and a set of needle plyers. I did get a hole in back but when I tried enlarging it shattered. I knew this would happen but you never know till you try and what else would I do with a broken sealed beam, thought I would try. May be a angle grinder would work better or a band saw or belt sander. I will continue to try to solve this problem theres always a way. i will let you guys know with any future findings

i achieved to open the back of my sealed beam with a dremel with a green grinding stone, i dont remember the name of the stone, it was meant for glass...

so i opened it, and then somebody on this forum told me i could use a 12 volt instead, with the double of watts, i used it, and it works well...

so i'm using a 12volt 35watts , instead of 6volts, 18watts, there is o.5 watts too much, but i dont care, i'm using it that way

g.b.

by the way, it cost 8$ can (6$us)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account