Cable Question

Steven Saunders /

The lead cable end has broken off of my throttle cable. Should I replace the whole cable/housing/cable end or just buy the cable end and attach it. Are cable ends hard to come by?

Re: Cable Question

Don Pflueger /

its on a throttle? your probably best to buy a new cable. wal mart sells a bicycle tune up kit for $4.23 and it comes with 4 cables. if you use a delortto carb, a derailleur cable will work with just a small amount of grinding or filing. otherwise, throttle cables cost anywhere from $9-$14. but if you need a brake cable, the ones in the tune up kit will fit fine. or you can buy a thing called a knarp at any bicycle shop. its a replaceable cable end. but you need to know what style end you need first. the tune up kit has a variety of ends to fit every need.

"you can buy a thing called a knarp at any bicycle shop."

LMAO!

2 out of the 3 bike shops that I went to around here had never heard of such a thing!

Don Pflueger /

then they dont have a clue what they are doing. knarps are cble ends used to make custom cables or repairs. it is a small threaded barrel with a hole drilled thru the side and a tiny set screw at one end. you push the wire thru the hole then tighten the set screw down to clamp the wire. most expensive hybrid race bikes use these.

Don Pflueger /

Odyssey Knarps - $4.95

-Use these to shorten your upper gyro cables or on the ends if you choose to run a London Mod dual lower cable set up.

QTY:

Get the cheap bike tune up kit. One of the cables in there was an perfect match to my Tomos cable...no grinding required. I ended up using all of them for brakes, friends peds, and under my seat I still have one incase I need it on the fly. All this for 5 bucks. It is the only thing I've bought from Walmart in 2 years.

John Joedicke /

Should be able to get a knarp at a good autoparts supplier also, baring that make one.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

That cable set from Walmart is a good buy. Matt I Differ with you on buying from Walmart, I use them for most purchases except for building materials and dress clothes.Good value and one stop shopping. Jim.

Handy Bikes 1-614-299-0550 has a LOT of different throttles cables and YES!,CYB....they have KNARPS! LOL!

I have to confess I'd never heard `em called that though. I always called them universal cable ends or cable stops.

I think they're only 1.99 at Handy Bikes. I made a throttle cable for dellorto once by grinding down the end of abike brake cable. But that might not be as strong as the cable that's made for it. A Dellorto carb throttle cable is under 8 bucks at Handy Bikes. I usually carry a spare with my tools and a spare clutch cable. don-ohio

If the cable is in good enough shape, I prefer to find a metal rod or bolt shank who's diameter fits the application. Then drill a hole through it for the cable and cut off the short barrel shape.. Then silver solder the cable into the new barrel.

yep those walmart tune up kits work great every time i go there i buy a few

as for those knarps theyre just cable stops you can get them real cheap at a piano repair shop

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account