suzuki FA 50,PISTON AND RING INFO

Hi,Ive got a question about a suzuki FA50.I just got one that needs a little TLC.I bought a new head,gasket piston and ring for it.I cant seem to compress the ring with out it allmost snapping.Is there a smaller set of ring pliers or just a trick I dont know?

Re: suzuki FA 50,PISTON AND RING INFO

There's no tricks i know of to get a ring on a piston.. I use my fingers and start one end over the piston crown's edge and work my way around and, while expanding the ring the least amount possible, walk it down the side of the piston.

Some people talk about "screwing" a ring on but others say this can permanantly distort the ring from it's flat shape.

Rings are brittle and aluminum gets scratched easily. Have a seat and get comfortable and take your time .. it helps if your finger tips and finger nails are considered expendable assets.

Re: suzuki FA 50,PISTON AND RING INFO

oops.. compress the ring? I had read your post in the General forum about snapping rings and didnt read this one carefully..

The bottom of the bore is tapered outwards a little and the taper will completely compress the ring for you. Fingers around the piston pushing the ring into it's groove is adequate to get it started.

But you gotta be careful that the cylinder is in it's normal, proper orientation. The cylinder has port holes and deep cuts that you can't see and it's easy to forget where they are.

If you push the piston in and a cylinder port is in line with the end of a ring, the ring end can pop out into the port... And when you feel the resistance and push, the ring can get caught and snap.

So, just be careful when starting the rings in the bottom of the bore.. Keep the ring ends on the ring retainer pins in the grooves... Keep the cylinder oriented properly and dont twist/turn the cylinder too much.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account