1982 MURRAY PISTON

Philip Arnold /

Hey, I dismantled my engine, cause I broke off a exhaust stud putting on a bi- turbo muffler. After getting it back from the machine shop I was putting it back together, and I did'nt know there was a little pin in between the edges of the rings. So I pushed the piston in to hard and the ring snapped in two pieces. It also scored my piston between the two rings.(not to bad). This is my question: Do I need to replace just the rings, or do I need to replace the whole piston? Fortunately it didn't mess up the inside of the jug. Just so you don't have to ask when I say it scored it that is kinda wrong it BIT into it. But only in between the two rings.

Re: 1982 MURRAY PISTON

The rings do the sealing so their condition and operation is important. The ring grooves (lands) mustn't have any rough spots that prevent the ring from laying flat or that force the ring out of it's groove.

Get a tiny file and smooth over the scratch(es) and damage in the lands and between the lands and it should be ok. But without seeing how bad the actual damage is, it's hard to say if more should be done.

I've run pistons that were beat to hell with deep scratches from top to bottom after filing the scratches somewhat flat .. As long as the rings are able to seal and the piston doesn't smear aluminum along the sides of the bore, it's good enough for the average trailer park get-me-to-the-store-and-back moped.

Re: 1982 MURRAY PISTON

Philip Arnold /

Thanks I'll try to file it. The ring is sticking a little.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account