foot lbs vs. inch lbs

I have heard lots of mix things , can anyone tell me what kind of torque wrench to buy, A foot lbs or inch lbs,

Some say foot lbs are too much for a moped, only for a car,

I need to toque my mobylettes head down right and don't want to harm it anymore, also someone told me not long ago how to do it , but with foot lbs, what would be the conversion to inch lbs.

they told me to Tighten to 5 lbs, then 10 lbs.

thanks,,g

Re: foot lbs vs. inch lbs

Don Pflueger /

10 ft/lbs is what you need to torqued the head bolts to 10 ft/lbs = 120 in/lbs. 20 ft/lbs = 240 in/lbs.

so whatever wrench you buy will work, but one that measures ft/lbs is a little much for a ped. i use both depending on what i'm working on.

So what would 5 ft/lbs be, 60 in/lbs,

sorry I am a bit slow.. ha

Don Pflueger /

yep. it works just like a ruler. there are 12 inches in a foot. so 120 inch lbs in 10 foot lbs, or 12 inch lbs to 1 ft lbs

Another cool trick is to go to Google and type in:

5 foot pounds in inch pounds

It can convert most everything... totaly sweet!

"yep. it works just like a ruler. there are 12 inches in a foot. so 120 inch lbs in 10 foot lbs, or 12 inch lbs to 1 ft lbs"

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

WHOA!

So to convert feet to inches I have to divide by 12, and to convert inches to feet I have to multiply by 12??!!

AWESOME, DUDE!!

Don Pflueger /

yep. thats all there is to it. like i said, its just like using a ruler.

Alright guys, got the point, thanks as always, and hey take it easy ok...

Ruler got it,,

if you want to impress the mechanical geeks while shopping for wrench, refer to torque in "pound-feet" and not foot pounds.. foot pounds is about horsepower.

I agree about buying one of the small torque wrenches since some larger wrenches don't even register a lousy 10 pound-feet of torque.. Depending on the industry, they make pound-inch wrenches to suit different ranges. some have good resolution down to one pound-inch or less.

A decent little wrench will probably cost about $30 and up unless you can find one used .. E-Bay has a few.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account