shortcut around the magnum's electrical system

what wires could I connect in order to skip out on the electrical system of a magnum with some wiring troubles. It's possible to run a wire straight to the spark plug from somewhere...right? I just want to verify that the problem is all the electrical roughage and chaos, and it'll be rather inspiring to hear the beast start.

Re: shortcut around the magnum's electrical system

First thing to check is make sure the two wires going into the back of the horn are connected to the horn. You won't get any spark if they are disconnected. The brown wire is ground.

Check Mopedriders.org in the Moped Repair section, lots of different service manuals on-line for reference and downloading including the Magnum MK II

http://www.mopedriders.org/html/manuals/puch/sm/puchsm.htm

thanks zippy, the wires are hooked in. I know I've heard that you can run a wire straight from..the coil perhaps?!...to another wire, and avoid any rotten wiring elsewhere. Any ideas on the wires to choose?

Jason Luther /

if you disconnect everything from the coil, and wire it directly it should work. the 'spark' wire from the engine (blue i think) should be run to the coil, and _not connected to anything else_ else. then the coil should be grounded (to anything on the frame, it probably already is). that way you bypass the kill switch, brake switches, horn, etc that will kill the spark. -jason

benji treat /

thanks amory and zippy, I got distracted by a lot of nasty carbs today, but tomorrow I'm hoping to try this out.

benji treat /

okay, so just to clarify I have the blue wire coming out of the magneto, going into the plastic box which all the wires go into and then going to the coil. Will the procedure be to take the blue wire from the box and hook it straight to the coil? I don't need to disconnect other wires...or do i? crumbs, it gets confusing.

benji treat /

I have now made a quality map of my electrical system and, umm, have disconnected everything. The coil has a blue wire and brown wire coming from it, I hooked the brown wire to the frame and the blue wire to the blue wire coming from the engine...still no spark. Am I supposed to hook something up differently? I've got an extra coil so I will try that and a few combinations next, but any ideas? thanks...........

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account