garelli monza gt woes

Clint Allison /

Hello all!

This is my first post. Thank you in advance for all your help and advice.

I just bought a 1985 garelli monza gt. It is a 50cc 2 stroke. The clutch cable and brake cables are missing. The electrical connections on the brake levers are disconnected as is the kill switch (also missing). The headlight is also gone. My problem is the engine will run if I pedal it and engage the clutch while on the stand. If I ride it and try to start it...nothing. Another weird thing is when I get it running on the stand, if I take my feet off the pedals, it dies! I don't know if it is an engine/frame ground problem? I checked the bolts and they are tight. My next step is to remove the mounting bolts, engine and clean the frame/engine mounting points. any other ideas? I am interested in any leads on cables for this ped. Thanks so much.

Clint

Re: garelli monza gt woes

first read freds guide

http://www.mopedarmy.com/resources/articles/fredsguide/

you can get a bike cable set at walmart for $5. I have used these cables for everything.

Is the engine actually firing on it's own, or does it only sound like it is running when you are pedaling it?

Clint Allison /

Thank you for the info on the cables.

The motor will run as long as I keep pressure on the pedals. I don't mean turning the pedals. I am talking about around 5lbs pressure on the pedals.

Thank you

Clint

Ben Van Zoest /

And how do you engage the clutch with a 'missing' cable, can you ride the thing for any distant after you get the engine started on the stand and someone gives you push? Will the engine continue to run. Maybe a poor/lose electrical connection in the engine/loom connector...

Clint Allison /

I have a small rope tied on to the clutch linkage coming out of the trans case. The other end of the rope is tied to a rear portion of the frame. To engage the clutch, I pull up on the rope. It is very awkward but it works till I get some new cables.

I have never tried to have someone give me a push before. One time, I did get it to run with my feet off the pedals. I tried pushing it off the stand as hard as I could but it died instantly. I is possible that the clutch may be dragging and that is what caused it do die. I still think it has something to do with the center stand/pressure on the pedals. Does anyone know if this was some type of a very poor safety feature?

Thank you

Clint

the way you describe the engine "running" is vague. If an engine starts and runs, RPM will jump to about 700+ at idle. Pedaling will have no effect. If you pedal to keep the engine running, it's not really running..

But perhaps it is trying to run and able to run but the decompression valve in the head (if you have one) is stuck open. Only pedaling will keep the engine turning if that valve continuously vents compression.

Maybe the bike has wiring problems.. bare wire ends could be in momentary contact with eachother or with the frame and killing the spark almost anywhere on the frame.

Who knows.. From the way you describe the bike's condition anything is possible. Perhaps a previous owner had electrical problems and did a sloppy job of searching for it and lost some parts.. might have pulled hard on some wires.. or maybe they canabalized the switches for another bike, paying no attention to what was left behind. A rat's next of wires around the missing headlamp ... well.. my imagination fails me as far as coming up with specific suggestions there.

These bikes are simple .. no fancy pressure activated safety cutoff switches. But pressure on the pedals does take pressure off the seat. There may be an exposed wire under the seat. The shocks and rear wheel support also move around when you sit on it.. Look around for wire trouble inthose areas. The grips on the handle bars are another place to look for loose wires touching something.

So, basically trace all the wiring and look for worn or cracked insulation. Tape any exposed bare wire ends. Clean out any corrosion inside switches and connectors.

Clint Allison /

Thank you Joew,

When I say it is running, I mean it is running. I do not have to keep pedaling it. [ If that was the case, I would be the one that was running :) ] I will have to try sorting out the bare wires. One thing I did just realize was that I may not have a complete air filter assembly. There is a stainless steel screen over the opening of the carb but nothing else. I'll bet at one time there was some type of foam filter on it. I know this probably has nothing to do with my problems but, It may make the engine run lean or wear prematurely.

Thanks again,

Clint

Jason Luther /

im sure its a simple bad ground. in order for it to run simply, with no accesories. the coil and engine need to be grounded. perhaps while pressing on the peddle you are moving the motor mounts a little, thus grounding them. or as joe so eloquently pointed out, the skys the limit. check to make sure the motor bolts are tight, and that the ignition coil is grounded. use a short piece of wire from the coil grounding post to the frame. that way you know for sure its grounded. if everythings works fine. go from there.-jason

or use the leads on a multimeter. attach one to the engine, one to the frame. check for resistance, or continuity while fussing with the pedals

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account