is 60 cc's that much better than 50cc's?

Jeffery Cobb /

i need to buy a new cylinder kit for a 1977 morini motor, i think it is a m1. moped warehouse has on that is 50 cc's for 85 dollars by Eurocylindro, and one that is 60 cc's for 150 dollars by polini. is the 60 cc kit worth the extra money or should i just stick with the 50 cc's?

thank's

Jeffery

Re: is 60 cc's that much better than 50cc's?

sorta depends on a lot of things.. what happened to the engine?

Jeffery, the 50 cc kit is a standard replacement cylinder. No improvement in performance over stock. The 60 cc kit is a performance kit. 60 cc is the largest you can go with your engine without extensive crankcase welding and re machining.

Chris MWH

www.mopewarehouse.com

www.mopedguru.com

Jeffery Cobb /

The Moped sat up for a while before I got it and the piston was rusted to the cylinder. I was planning on going back with the stock replacement, I just didn't know if the 10 cc gain was worth 65 dollars.

to put it in perspective:

a 50cc moped might put out 2 horsepower.

A 125cc 2-stroke engine (only 2.5 times larger displacement than the moped) should easily deliver 30 horsepower .. 15 times the power.. (not the mathematically predicted 2.5X2 = 5 HP)

cubic centimeters can mean a lot.

Along the same line of thought as Joew the extra 10cc may not seem like much, BUT, it represents 20% more displacement. Even it this only means 20% more power I think it is worth the fiew extra bucks.

I increased the displacement on my Tomos to 65cc with the Airsail kit (30% increase in displacement) and it makes a world of difference.

the polini kit chris sells at moped is warehouse is what i have (60cc) and i think the quality from the polini is better than stock, so far i put about 500 miles on it and it runs excellent, gives it a little more low pitched engine sound increases the speed of your ped by at least 5-8mph, tons more for pulling... up hills is so easy now, its worth the price trust me the kit comes with all new gaskets and everything only took me about 10 minutes to install. the first time you start it up is a little hard becouse of the rings. after break in its really really nice.. hoped this helped your decision

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

No question about it, the Polini 60cc is way better. Get the Polini and don't look back!

Brooklyn

yup, great kit!!!!!!!

Jeffery Cobb /

I have come across another problem, I was under the impression that it was a m101, but after talking to a guy at Handy bikes I am not sure if it is a m1 or a m0,. How can I tell which it is?

Jeffery Cobb /

If it helps this is a link to a picture of one that lookes almost identical. http://www.mopedarmy.com/photos/brand/32/627/

Jeffery Cobb /

It is an M0.1 not an M1, will this kit still work?, I took the cylinder off and it looks very close to the one in the picture.

If you have an MO then that kit will not work. The MO1 engine has the intake manifold attaches to the cylinder. If that is what you have then you need another kit Which is out of stock.

Chris MWH

www.mopedwarehouse.com

www.mopedguru.com

Xyplestop Florbledo /

Is there a kit for the honda motor? THe one in the NC 50 Express?

Mine is lisenced as a motorcycle anyway, and I could use the extra power.

From what I've heard the motor itself is still in use in asia......

Jeffery Cobb /

Is there anywhere else i can get a kit, i found an oversized piston at handy bikes, i just have to get the cylinder bored.

Matthew Libhart /

I guess this is on subject, but it's only a word of advice re the original question. I'm in PA, and here a bike can only be a moped if it's under 50cc, as well as meeting some other criteria. I'm pretty much resisting my overwhelming urge (boy it'd be fun!) to put a kit on my Puch because then it would be a motorcycle. My insurance would go up, I'd need to get a motorcylce license (means another permit and driving test), and I'd have to get it inspected. Now I know that I could put a kit on it and no one would really know, but if I ever got into an accident and my insurance co. somehow found out I was riding something that wasn't legally a moped, they'd cut me loose in a hearbeat. Just something to think about.

99.9% of non-moped people would not even know what they were looking at to tell the difference.

real sad but true

Clyde Stewart /

how would anyone know if you didn't tell them you stuck a 60cc on it ?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account