Yamaha ms50 transmission

Hi,

I have a problem with the transmission on a Yamaha MS50 that was an Ebay "bargain". The moped is shaft driven and I can push it forward fine (whilst I am doing this no compression is taking place) but if I want to push the moped backwards the rear wheel locks and I have to lift the rear end off the ground.I can ride the moped if I start it on the stand and push off whilst giving it a bit of throttle.Any ideas as to what the problem might be before I start to dismantle it would be greatly appreciated. I also need a cylinder barrel, as the one on it is broken where one of the exhaust bolts is supposed to be fitted (complete threaded section broken off) hence I cannot tighten the exhaust on properly. If any one has a spare one that they would like to sell please get in touch it looks to have the same cylinder as a QT50 which was produced at the same time.

Thanks

Alan

Re: Yamaha ms50 transmission

Alan Brown /

Hi,

just to let you know that the transmission problem has been solved.A spring had broken off the primary drive clutch and bits of it had got wedged in what looks like a gear that drives a second clutch.Moped now moves back and forth as it should.

Now I only need to get the cylinder repaired and I'm on the road.

I was going to say that it sounded like a clutch locked up, but I guess it was the gear.

Is there any way you can take a pic of the broken bolt? I have several suggestions but I would need to see a pic to say which is best for your situation.

Do you know if this is the same bike as the Yamaha Champ? I know here in the states they used about the same motor on the Champ, QT50 and PW50 dirtbike, I think you have the "Champ" here, if so I have a parts bike, not too sure if there is a top end though I'd have to look, but there are lots of other parts.

Alan Brown /

Hi Ray,

I'm not sure what the Champ looks like, but the attachment shows the one from the photo gallery thats the same as mine hope this helps.I would be interested if you had a cylinder.

Thanks

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account