Puch maxi is overheating

I cant seem to get the timing right and it overheats so much that the engine cuts out. Its modified with performance parts to 65cc, but basically how can I get the timing perfect. I have a timing gun but dont know how to use it. that cigerette paper thing its a joke.

Thanks in advance for replying.

Re: Puch maxi is overheating

Jason Luther /

if you set your points to .017 and move your stator plate to the center it should be close enough to not give you any problems, other than runing a little crappy. you probably have another problem. you did upjet your carb and make sure your mixture is correct?. when was the last time you changes the trans fluid? do you have the correct plug? how are you sure its over-heating? and what do you mean modded to 65cc was it a kit?-jason

Matt Grogan /

Its been months since I looked at it. Not sure what plug is in it. I got a polini 65ccs kit and the right size jet. I think/ I got a bing carb on it. appropriate size for the polini kit. I guess I got a bad mix. I forgot the mix. Should I use 50:1?

Thanks.

Matt Grogan /

I forgot to add that I did change transmission oil with type F. I dont know whats going on, please help the weather is breaking.

Puch maxi is overheating

"I have a timing gun but dont know how to use it."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That might be a start right there!

Did you read the instructions when you installed the cylinder? There should be something about how to time the new cylinder. The original timing for a 1 speed is .047 - .032 for a 1 speed (BTDC). That is the depth of the piston from just before TDC when the points open. That is in thousandths. 1/21" min and 1/32" max or 1.20MM - .80 MM. BTDC.

I never could understand why they put the min first, when your turning the flywheel you go from max to min spec. Anyway set it at the max and as it wears it will get closer to the min. As you check it in the future, you know to reset it when it goes below min.

Oops! Thats 1/21 max - 1/32 min!

Jason Luther /

mix on a stock maxi is 50:1. i dont know what the kit requires. but again, how do you know its overheating?-jason

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account