peugeot 301 real odd problem

Im working on a friend of mine's ped. its a 301 peugeot. when we first got it it wouldnt run, the fuel lines were stopped up so we cleaned them, the carb, and the gas tank. it is now getting gas as it should, we checked the timing and it was correct (top dead center). the spark plug is working correctly, the engion turnes over smooth and seems to have good compression as well. the exaust is clear of blockage to. the gas in the thing is now fresh and burnes well. the problem is that the engion will not ignite the gas. after peddling it a bit on the stand the sparkplug (which is sparking fine) comes away wet. we tried to use either starting fluid on it but with no results. is it possible that the reed valve is passing gas at the wrong time? I cannot think of anything else to do to this thing to make it work.

peugeot 301 real odd problem

"The spark plug is working correctly"..what do you mean by that? If you hold the plug while in the boot to the cylinder and kick the engine over, it should be a fat blue spark on there. Timing should be such that the plug sparks just _before_ TDC. Does the engine pop at all? If not, you may want to test compression. Might have a bad head or base gasket on there. Last thing I can think of is, if it's missing the airbox/filter on the back of the carb, it probably won't run well, if at all.

Re: peugeot 301 real odd problem

trust me that spark is fat enough and the timing is about as you say, the engion has a good pop to it like i said its got compression. are you sure about the air filter thing? Ive started peds before without a filter on em (just to test them mind you) and they usually work fine.

I am actually planning to raise the compression later with some head shaving, but really want to focass on getting it running first

Make sure the timing is set so that the points break at 20 degrees BTDC. Also, could the float bowl be flooding into the engine,washing out the spark?

Usually with this problem I'm mentioning next, the plug isn't wet.......but strange things have happened. You could have a leaking crank seal pulling in air either behind the clutch or the magneto. Compression shows up normal, but unless the carb is flooding, you usually don't get a wet plug.

thanks for the advice, ive tried shooting either and raw gas into the inlett without a carb attached but it runs out the exaust unburnt, my father is a mechanic whom specializes in old cars, also used to modify zundapps in holland, he says this will work (in the sence that I should get at least some form of explosion) but so far to no avail. thanks for the advice ill take the clutch and magneto off tommarrow and check the seals, Im trying to avoide taking the whole block apart if nessisary, but hey, whatever it takes. mabey I could try feeding in compressed air to find a leak?

Peugeots are finicky about the air filter. Without the filter on mine, it will start at about 15 mph, rev up, then die.

one of the last things people ever seem to check is the condensor?????????

usually when you suspect crank seals it is the condensor that breaks down under load.

yes, you can do a leak-down test if you can block off the intake pipe's end after removing the carb, and if you don't have a gauge, you can `soap test' behind the magneto and clutch sides for bubbles, after you SLIGHTLY pressurize the crankcase thru the intake pipe. don-ohio (:^D

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account