inline fuel filter... yeah or nay?

hey dudes,

is it necessary to run an in line fuel filter on older mopeds? do you all have one on your ped?

thanks for the feedback

Lee

Re: inline fuel filter... yeah or nay?

Don Pflueger /

ita the best thing you can do.

Re: inline fuel filter... nay.

If a bike already has one or two functioning filters that are filling up with crud they are doing their job. They can be accessed and cleaned.

I see no point in adding a throw-away filter farther downstream..

it is the best thing you can do... they only cost a dollar, or two, and it saves many headaches.

Bryan Strahl /

another vote Yes, but then my Ciao didn't have any filters that I could find before the inline one I installed

I agree with Paul and DonP...........if you install a see-thru,paper pleated filter kinda' horizontally sloped, in most cases it will allow for a little water to be trapped and you can also see dirt or ice if forming.

I seldom have carb trouble because I HAVE an in-line filter. don-ohio (:^)

reasons for "nay"

May as well explore this topic just for fun since this should be a simple "yeah or nay" but it's not.

I've never seen a stock moped equiped with anything except metal screens for filters. These screens are sized to allow small stuff to pass while trapping stuff too large to get through the main jet.

Gravity feed is easily slowed by any additional resistance to flow. I would avoid a paper, sintered bronze or any other fine filter or a filter with an area that is just too small. Add any filter or screen and flow slows somewhat.

Measure the inlet and outlet holes of the filter and chances are they are smaller than the inner diameter of the fuel line, so some flow resistance is pretty much guaranteed no matter what.. (The "1/4 inch" inline filter in front of me has a 0.15 hole and the fuel line has a 0.20 inner diameter.) The shoulders created by the end of the filter's nipple is another slight restriction.

If fuel was pumped under pressure it would be a different story. But even in a automobile gas tank, upstream from the fuel pump, they only use high flow metal screens.

Another thing i don't like is creating additional spots for fuel leaks. Cut a line and you get three.. One on each end of the filter and the filter body itself.

The plastic will melt if it touches a hot engine so placement is something to think about.

Then you gotta throw them away when they are dirty.. (big deal.. a buck or two) But how do you know they are dirty? After a few months they are no longer transparent. You can't open and examine them because you gotta break them to do it.

The screens in the tank and / or on the carb are easily examined, cleaned and reinstalled. Adding filters adds potential problems while solving or preventing none.

Kreem the tank, use clean fresh fuel, replace delapidated fuel lines and get a good gas cap and the stock filters are more than adequate.

Re: reasons for "nay"

JOEW, you are right, for bigger bikes i think...

The moped only consume a small fuel amount...

i think that the gaz has time ENOUGH to pass trough the line and reach the carburator before the engine needs more gaz...

when the carb bowl is full, its emptying slowly, really slowly, as the moped is running.

i think that it can fill faster than it empties.

plz tell me if i'm wrong

g.b.

Don Pflueger /

i say if you dont go any smaller than 80 micron, you'll be ok.

you're not wrong .. a moped requires less fuel than a lot of things. If the float bowl emptied faster than it could refill the bike probably has a clogged (inline? ;) filter.

reasons for "nay"

heh heh heh ... he said nipple

Re: NO reasons for "nay"in MY set-up.

JoeW, I don't recommend teeny paper filters like you were describing. I use filters that are at least as big as the line on my bikes.

I run a 60cc Polini kit, and a 70cc kit, and have NEVER had a restriction or clog in any paper pleated filter that I've used in-line. But I won't buy little tiny ones.

Matter of fact, I believe I've only changed filters once in probably 30,000 miles of riding. My Banjo filter on the carb always looks spotless as a result of this in-line filter, and I have always been able to detect any water or dirt that got thru from the tank.

If dirt gets thru that banjo filter and stacks up on a main jet, you're possibly looking at a melted piston from running too lean. Not me,Bro!

I agree, though, that the filter must not be small. Toro has a good clear paper filter that's perfect for mopeds, and the ones I bought were from an Auto Value here in Jackson, and they had 1/4" graduated to 5/16" connections,to fit both sizes of lines. NEVER have had a leak either. No heat is even close to a filter on a Sebring,mounted under the tank.

NOW A TOMOS Targa and maybe others,has very little room for any filter, but I'd work around it. My 2 cents.

don-ohio (:^D

lets not forget that on alot of our mopeds they are well over 20 years old, and the metal filters that are supposed be there are not. now replacing a petcock valve would solve that, or a banjo, etc. but there are many people here that can't,or won't go for the $$ of a new petcock, etc.

the next best/cheapest thing to do to fix that is a $2.00 fuel filter.

peace of mind in my book, and like don-o said, they last many, many miles.

I'm not saying they don't have their proper place.. just that they are not something that can be thoughtlessly added or be considered a cure for some fault in the fuel system and then forgoten.. or that every bike needs one.

Someone who takes the time to do normal maintainance and wants full value from a bike surely appreciates the added protection an inline filter can provide. But to those who neglect normal maintainance an inline filter is just one more thing that will be neglected.

It's kinda like getting a loan from a bank.. the less you need it the easier it is to get one.

i agree joe.maintaince is the key, or bigger problems will arise.

True....true,Joe. That's why I like the Toro see-thru....it's obvious if particulates break thru or rusty discoloration gets onto it.

I once took the petcock out of my 40,000 mile Sebring, and the screen's top had either eaten away, or someone had put a hole in it, rendering the screen almost worthless,like Paul brought out. What I've found,too,like you say, maintenance is involved in that petcock screen filter every coupla' years or so. What HAPPENS is that the bottom of the screen will clog,ruining your RESERVE capacity flow when you need it.

Nothing gets thru paper..... Nothing that will clog a jet,anyway. LOL! don-ohio (:^D

Happiness is finding a junkyard bike, pulling the petcock and behold! The screen is in perfect shape ;)

I run an in line filter on my 74s bcuz thats just a habit i have and it works fine

any tips on removing moisture from a fuel line or fuel filter? the winter up here in Canada is slowly dying down and i want to start the 'defrost' now.

If you know you have gotten moisture into a paper filter, you probably ought to replace it. To remove ice or water in tiny amounts, drain the fuel out, then dump a can of Dry-Gas into the tank, let it sit for an hour, and then drain it out right outta' the float bowl. Make sure there's hardly any drygas residue left when you fill with clean fuel.

don-ohio (:^D

thanks!

where can i get the TORO filter?

Don Pflueger /

any lawn mower repair shop. toro doesnt have their own if i remember correctly. its a briggs, tecumseh, or kohler filter. most likely briggs. they make several different models with different micron ratings. the ratings determine hole size in the screen inside the filter. for a ped i wouldnt go any smaller than 80 micron.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account