Garelli SS XL major overhaul

Scott Brainard /

I'm currently rebuilding a '79 Garelli Super Sport XL engine. The flywheel-side main bearing cage was missing; I found the majority of it in the tailpipe. The 6203-size main bearings are quite common and the rod bearings were spared any damage, but I'm wondering if the jug can be bored (chromebore?) and whether any piston kits are available that would fit.

Amazingly, the existing piston and cylinder bore is still marginally usable, even after passing all that metal. Can't feel any scoring in the jug, the piston is a bit chewed but still makes 0.015" cold clearance at the skirts. Tough little engine. I wouldn't feel comfortable running it at 50:1 though, it would have to be a mosquito killer if I can't put a new slug in it.

Thanks for any info,

--Scott Brainard

Re: Garelli SS XL major overhaul

Timmy Southpark /

50cc.nl might have piston kits... but getting it bored i dunno if its worth the money- probally really expensive. I would think someone would make a bore kit somewhere... ask chris at mopedwarehouse or again, try 50cc.nl

Scott Brainard /

Checked 50cc.nl, nothing for an old Garelli. Found a place called twopistons that claims to have Garelli oversize piston kits, need to take some measurements to verify that I can use the parts.

Thanks,

Scott Brainard

Fede Berkelaar /

I can get brand new oversize pistons for your Garelli. Just wait 2 weeks because I'm getting married next wednesday!

Jason Luther /

dude, do a compression test!! if it passes save the cash. the chrome bore is hard as hell, id say there was a good chance it passed the cage unscaved.-jason

I have oversize pistons in stock however they are only for the steel cylinders. The chrome bore is not borable. It is un economical have it re plated. If you require a new or used cylinder (steel) I have them in stock. But as suggested do a compression test and or teardown first.

Chris MWH

www.mopewarehouse.com

www.mopedguru.com

Scott Brainard /

I've already done the teardown. Piston is scored up pretty badly, it'll pass a comp test but the bike is in nice shape and if a new piston was available for it, I'd put one in. The bore looks fine, as suspected earlier it appears to have survived the bearing failure with hardly a scratch. Since these can't be bored, does anyone have a std piston? :)

--Scott Brainard

I thought all garelli cylinders were cast iron. If your whole cylinder is dark metal, and weights ten pounds, then its iron, and you can have it bored out at a motorcycle shop.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account