Small Puch explosion?

Nathaniel Wood /

Ok, so that topic is a little dramatic. MY 77 puch maxi was running pretty good a few weeks back, but it started having more and more trouble starting over the course of two days until I coul not start it anymore unless peddling down a very steep hill. It will stop when I slow down or come to a stop, and I cant get it running again. I cleaned the crb, replaced the spark. I also put a new exhaust on it. Any ideas whats wrong? I was just trying to start it and I heard a pretty loud pop (going down a steep hill).

ANy help would be great!

-Than

Re: Small Puch explosion?

Sounds like something similar I had happen when the screw for my point gap came a little loose. check your points. Esp. if you're having backfires.

If you need help setting this, refer to fred's guide in the resources.

Sean Mcguire /

yeah, check the timing for sure. the points and the movable plate (held down by two screws) with the inductive coils behind the flywheel (and make sure the flywheels not stripped out on the crankshaft and turning freely- this happened on a Puch of mine and I could not get it started until I figured it out). the flywheel is keyed so that it only fits on the crankshaft in one position.

What kind of a new exhaust did you put on it?

If you put a chamber on it and did not up-jet the engine could have been running too lean and cooked the piston.

Have you checked the compression?

Nathaniel Wood /

I put a biturbo on it.

It has not run since a day or so before i switched exhausts, so hopefully I have not screwed anything up. How do I upjet the engine? I loosen the screw on the carb?

I dont know how to check the compression. Any help would begreatly appreciate.

Pretty much all I can do is clean the carb and change the spark plug, the rest of the engine is virgin to my hands.

It sounds like you have an electrical problem. I reccomend switching back to the stock exhaust for now, and learning how to clean and set point timing. Search the repair and general forums for info on bosch magnetos and puch timing.

If you do not know how to re-jet your carburetor you should not have installed the pipe.

You check the compression by sticking a compression gauge in the sparkplug hole while the engine is being turned by someone else.

Your owners manual should tell you how much compression you have.

Nathaniel Wood /

OK. Well the pipe is installed, and the old one is shit. It has not run since a day BEFORE i put the new pipe on, so I doubt that is what F'd up my bike. I have no compression gage, but I do have a manual I got from mopedjunkyard. Where coule I get a gauge?

So is there a consensus that Its either an electrical problem or my point gaps are dirty/loose? Considering the fact that the bike slowly stopped working over the course of a couple days?

I will attempt to re-jet my carb with Freds guide, and check the points.

check the points first. that's your likely faulty part.

also- just checking the obvious...

you have double checked to make alsolutely certain the bike has gas, and nothing is blocking fuel flow, right?

also

look at your spark plug. does it look good?

Nathaniel Wood /

Ok,

Well I know I am getting a spark, I know gas is getting into the chamber.... If my breaker point was to wear out, what would that look like?

Also, the clutch is slipping from time to time.... Any ideas?

-Than

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account