Cylinder bolts stripped

Michael Romano /

Well today I was reading the forums and i noticed it said that I didnt need a head gasket for my tomos targa lx so i decided to remove mine.... i took of the nuts and pulled the gastket off and then put the engine back together two of the bolts would not screw in... all they would do is spin... so i decided to try and start the ped. Well It wouldnt start due to a leak around the head... so i decided to remove the head again and place the gasket back on and well now two of the bolts wont come off... and the nuts are stuck on the bolts. does ne one have ne idea on a removal method..

Michael~

Re: Cylinder bolts stripped

Find a way to pull on the bolts/nuts while you are turning them. Try removing the two good bolts. Then pull the head upwards (or gently lever it up) while unscrewing the stripped bolts. Maybe they will pull/turn out if you can just get a needle nose pliers on them.

Repair the threads before running the engine or risk ruining the head.

Use a torque wrench when reinstalling the head or risk more thread damage.

Regardless of the brand of engine or bike, if a head gasket is there, it's there to fill imperfections between head and cylinder surfaces and prevent leaks. It's not there to steal power.. or because some engineer made a mistake.

Michael Romano /

The gasket was only on there because I put it there... It was what was left after putting all other gaskets on ped so i figured it went on the head.. yet there was no gasket there before! Im going to try your methods asap!

Michael~

Accurate machining and careful assembly can make a head gasket unnecessary.. Flat, finely finished surfaces and accurately torquing the head bolts.

The small head and cylinders' surfaces on these engines should be flat to within about 0.001 inch or better. Torque should be progressively built up to about 10 or 12 foot pounds (total) by going around the bolts criss/cross 3 or 4 times. Re-check torque a few times during the next few rides, on both hot and cold engine.

Since you may have been running for a while with at least one bad head bolt (and certainly tried to torque the head down and run it with only two good bolts) there's a real strong chance that head is no longer flat.

I'd take some time out and examine the situation. Preventing the loss of maybe 5 or 10% of available power due to a bad seal at the head is worth the effort.

Once you get the nuts off take the head off, rmove the damaged studd bolts with a vise grip go to your nearest Tomos dealer and buy 2 new ones they're cheap. Put the stud bolts back in and install the head and torque the nuts like joew said.

With your description of the bolts, ( studs with nuts) spinning in the head, it also sounds like you may have stripped the threads in the head. You may have to put heli-coils in there but you won't know till you take it apart.

Michael Romano /

Yea im gonna have to helicoil it, i have to go out and buy a tap and helicoil set sometime this week... ne ideas on the size i will need?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account