Need help with Coil and "No Spark" situa

J3esse Rod2riguez /

On my Garelli Sport..... I cannot seem to get any spark to come from the coil.

I had the coil tested and the bike shop guy told me it worked. I then made sure it was getting power from the generator assembly. The wire going IN to the coil has power when I tested it with a wire tester.

But the wire leading out to the spark plug is totally dead. All the wires are connected. My Dad says that the condenser inside the generator assembly might be screwed up. Anyone have any ideas.

Re: Need help with Coil and "No Spark" s

Dan Danner /

make sure you have a good ground coming from coil

Also make sure the plug boot is good. look down into the plug boot and see if there is a metal shank with a slot in it(it will look like a screw driver was ment remove it). Then is it looks like it can be unscrewed... then screw it in as tight as you can without stirpping the threads. then try to start it again. let me know if it works.

Don Pflueger /

magneto problems are as listed;

1) bad condensor (most common)

2)dirty, improperly gappedpoints, or the screw terminal on the points is grounded (very common)

3) bad charging coil (rare, but caused by spraying carb cleaner in the magneto, or a blow by a hammer or other tool. can be burned up by a massive power surge, but a little unlikely)

4) bad ignition coil (rare, but can be bad due to the same symptoms as the charging coil)

5) bad plug boot or wire (fairly common, but spark should jump at least a 1/4" gap. and unless it insolated, there should be no stopping it)

6) bad spark plug (very common. even brand new plugs can be bad)

point gap on almost all peds is .014"-.016"

donp, the biggest problem with my 79' tomod bullet was the plug boot. definatly check that.

Re: Need help with Coil and

J3esse Rod2riguez /

hey guys... im gonna try the to check the Plug Boot tomorrow but JUST in case it is not that and I wish to repair the Condenser..where Can I get one to replace it???

Re: Need help with Coil and

Don Pflueger /

mopedwarehouse should have one. you need to know which brand magneto you have. cev, bosch, ducati, or whichever it may be. the name is stamped on the front of the flywheel.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account