Oil from exhaust pipe

Fred Jurgensen /

I have a 1977 Honda Express that leaks oil from the tail pipe. What could be the problem and how do I fix?

Re: Oil from exhaust pipe

is it alot???alittle is ok. what mixture are you running......could be too much oil.

Did this just start happening recently or did it always happen.. what fuel/oil ratio are you now mixing..

Oil that is not being burned up will eventually work it's way out the pipe .. a common cause is a higher than necessary fuel-to-oil ratio but there can be other reasons.

Fred Jurgensen /

This has just recently started happening. The Honda Express self mixes the oil, so I have no idea what ratio. Is there a way of adjusting?

Fred Jurgensen /

The leak will eventually drain the oil tank. This has just recently started happening. The Honda Express self mixes the oil, so I have no idea what ratio. Is there a way of adjusting?

hmm.. sounds like the injection oil pump or a valve or something is messed up.

For now, you can disable the pump and mix gasoline/oil yourself. Fuel/oil ratio should be just below where it makes a lot of smoke or extra oil appears at the tail pipe. Start with 32:1 and adjust as necessary. Use a quality "smokeless" oil.

Lots of people permanantly disable automatic oil injection because the consequences of it breaking and delivering inadequate oil can be catastrophic engine failure.. sounds like you got lucky and are on the other end of the scale..

I never owned a bike with oil injection so can't be of much help as far as repairing that pump or diagnosing the problem.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account