cracked engine???

is this bad because my chain was jamed up in their and i pulled the chain really hard and ithe engine case cracked..........is that bad???

Dan cooker

i attached a pic

1107723117_cracked_engine.jpg

Re: cracked engine???

Jason Luther /

it not good. but as long as nothing is leaking out, you should fine.

Yeah... You can buy "JB Weld" at pepboys or autozone. This stuff is originally a thick epoxy-like compound that becomes very hard when dried, almost as hard as metal.

On the package it says that a farmer used this stuff to fix a cracked engine head on a tractor and he still drives the tractor with jb weld on it today. Should work on a moped...

EK

like is it bad for the ped

Jason Luther /

has anyone seen that 'alumaloy' stuff? if it werent so expensive i think it would really come inhandy in a lot of situations.-jason

See Ya Moped Army /

it ain't good.

Paul Bartliff /

The mans right> Ive used JB weld here in UK as well on more serious cases than that

Good luck and wear some elastic band round your jeans until its fixed or it could be nasty!!!!!!!!!!

no is it bad for the mopedi dont care if its bad for me is it gonna effect the way my moped drives

Dan Cooker

Jason Luther /

whoa i just looked at the picture again. looks like your missing half the case!

is it going to effect the way that i ride is what i want to know

Dan,

A crack anywhere is bad on the ped... But if it still runs smoothly and nothing leaks, you lucked out. But if it leaks, JB weld will do the job.

EK

Dan,

The only way to find out is to fire it up and drive it. We can't tell you anything until you actually take it out and drive it.

If it starts and further damages the engine, then it doesn't matter anyway-- It would have happened one way or another. Thats how bad it could be. There is no risk in trying to start it and ride it. But you are better off keeping your legs high up just in case something metal shoots out of the engine.

Then when you see the results, share that with us. Tell us if it leaks, what color the leak is, etc... What happened, etc... If there's anything out of the ordinary.

But a crack as big as that is pretty bad.. I'd be surprised if it would run without any work.

EK

Dan,

if your moped does start up and works fine, you will have to fabricate something to hold your crank to stop it from bending. It will work fine for now for testing purposes..

It does look like your engine may be history, though. It'd be a good parts engine if you got a new one. (Thats what I'd do. Save a lot of headache and b.s.)

Good luck man.

EK

no like i rode it for 2 days and it runs great. I think it was just like (im gonna relate this to like a pedal bike) i think it was just like a chain gaurd like a regular bike would have so like you bant leg doesnt get caught in the chain.....but when it comes down to it you dont really need a chain gaurd. it basictly was just a shell that went around the engine sprocket like it doesnt effect the ride or anything, and EK why would it bend my crank......like do you guys get what im saying

it doesnt expose anything from inside the engine it just exposes my front sprocket

Dan,

I see what you are saying. The original case did cover that hole did it? That rod going out from the sprocket looks like its long. Wasn't there anything in there to assist it in staying in place?

If your moped runs fine, then you're all set, although, you'd want to watch your pants... It'd suck if you were going up a steep hill and your pants got stuck in there and you can't pedal...

EK

nothng held the rod in place and it would really suck if that happend.........but ya no ill take my chances lol

Dan Cooker

John Joedicke /

Is that a 31 sprocket on there? How much did or didn't you take out of the casing. Just order a new side cover from Ike or look on E_bay for a replacement. No big deal there.

i dont know how many teeth it has its just a stock sprocket i think.............i want to get a speed sprocket though if anyone has one for sale let me know

Dan

hey i got to tell you that happened to my tomos lx and it did not don any thing to it you just have to be careful if some thing you hit my get stuck and my lock the chain and if your going fast and something makes the chain lock you might flip be carful but it did not do anything to my performance had the bike like that for like a year

nice thank you

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account