Is there any way to fiz a broken cable end?

I have a pa50 cable and the problem is that the end of the cable misses the kind of cylinder which connects to the rear brake...

do i need to buy a complete new cable? or is it fixable?

thanks

g.b.

Re: Is there any way to fiz a broken cable end?

See Ya Moped Army /

Usually, there is a small barrel with a set screw that you use on the end of the cable.

i dont have any.... but is there any places i can buy one?

it's big enough... it's a rear brake cable...

g.b.

Don Pflueger /

bicycle shops sell them. they are called knarps or something like that. but they cost $6 for two. you can pretty much buy a new cable for that much money, or go to wal mart and buy a bicycle cable set for $4.

That's the ticket Donp. Mine have been holding stong. Plus one of the cables in that kit is a replica of the throttle cable. Good to have around for a spare...not to metion the extra cables you'll have.

Don Pflueger /

the barrel on the bicycle cable is actually bigger. it needs to be ground in order to fit into the slide.

John Joedicke /

Can also get them at auto supply stores. Why not make one?

will the bicycle cable be strong enough?

i heard the moped cables were stronger and lasted longer...?

any idea?

g.b.

Don Pflueger /

ive used them. i did break two bicycle cable ends in my carb, but i think it may have been due to over grinding. the one in it now has been working perfectly for almost 500 miles now.

Allright, i'll try those...

so you say it's at walmart?

4$... this is really cheap... how many cables for that price?

g.b.

Don Pflueger /

the kit comes with two cables, but each cable has two different ends. it also comes with a set of bicycle brake pads.

See Ya Moped Army /

The cable set that they sell now comes with four cables for $4.23.

Don Pflueger /

cool. i havent bought a set for a month or so. thats even better.

If you want to keep the original cable you can make a new barrel in a couple ways..

The barrels are low-melting point alloy of some kind.. probably lead based. Molding a glob of fishing weight or auto balancing wheel weight to the end of the cable is an option .. but it's a lot of trouble unless metal casting is already a hobby.

The easier way is to find a small bolt or steel rod of the right diamater. Drill your hole for the cable and then cut off the short length. Try to make it fit the brake lever before you silver-solder it onto the cable... but it can be ground or shaped to fit afterwards too.

Don Pflueger /

or just go to a bicycle shop and buy a knarp. or go to wal mart and buy the tune up kit for bicycles. much easier than trying to make something.

Definately easier.. I agree except the thing about spending money on this bike if i can make a part ;)

I'm not interested in restoration by any stretch of the imagination.. but i do prefer to keep original equipment whenever possible.

Some people want color matched cables.. or just to be able to truthfully say "It's 99% original equipment" when they sell it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account