Peugeot clutch

Richard John Lazarowich /

Is there a common problem with Peugeot clutch where they do not catch the housing to turn the axle for a start? I have four clutches, and three of them will not catch the housing when I try to kick for a start. I have assembled the clutches properly using two different manuals. Has anyone had this problem before and could you please give me a hint for a solution. Thank you. Richard

Re: Peugeot clutch

Jason Luther /

is your starter cable at the proper tension? maybe the one that does work is pretty close to brand new, therefor able to catch with the slack cable. just a thought. -jason

by starter cable, do you mean the belt? the belt is the proper size and the tension from the motor and spring balance it to the right place.

That is a tricky assembly, it took me a while to do it correctly.

Follow the manual exactly- I used the manual from batavus (Grand Prix used Peugout engine) and finally it did work for me.

Having several engines on hand it was frustrating for me not being able to do it ( without manual)

Dan Danner /

most the time the nylon washer are in wrong

There is no starter cable. There is a decompression cable to ease the force needed to turn the engine over, but the starter clutch is engaged with centrifugal force. Your trouble may be that your starter clutch pads (the two on the outside of the clutch) are not swinging out to engage the edges of the drum, or there may be grease or oil on the drum / pads. Take the clutch apart again, make sure than the hinges on the starter clutch arms are free and they can move out (they're spring loaded so it takes a little force), then sand them down a bit along with the drum edges, then spray both off with brake cleaner. Assemble it again and see if that helps.

I appreciate all of your comments very much! Dan, I checked the nylons and they look alright. Ziggy, I had a manual already from "Clymer" but you are right, the first time I did it without a manual, it was a nightmare! Matt, however, hit the nail on the head. There was so much clutch plate "dust" and grease in there that the friction plate could not catch anything anymore. I cleaned the area thoroughly and with the help of a manual reassembled the unit. I'm happy to say, everything is fine now! Could not have done it without you guys! Thanks so much.

Richard

Glad to hear it! You gotta love those dry clutches for being easy to work on...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account