A-3 to an A-35

Jeff Strahle /

Ok,

So i'm sick and tired of this A-3........it sucks! I know someone one this website has converted their A-3 to an A-35. My question is, what will i need to convert. I know the mounting holes are the same, but my main concern is the elec. Are all A-3's 6v or are some 12v. if some are 12v then i would need to do no more than just swap the engine. Please let me know and help is appreciated in advance.

Jeff

Re: A-3 to an A-35

See Ya Moped Army /

Just swap the magneto and flywheel.

Jeff Strahle /

but would putting a CDI ignition on an A-3 mess up the wiring of the rest of the bike or not. I'm thinking it would cause thats where the elec. comes from when the engine is running and it would mess up the lights still.plus, parts are more ready available for the A-35 considering that Tomos no longer supports the A-3.

Jeff

you would merely just have to upgrade all your bulbs to 12v. no big deal.

Don Pflueger /

ive done this swap and just swapped the magnetos. but, you need to use the older model a35 with the center mount intake otherwise you will have to swap air boxes as well.

Jeff Strahle /

is it possible to just switch the stator plate, and the coils, and the magneto, and have everything still alright. Are older A-35's 6v or 12v still. please let me know.

Jeff

Don Pflueger /

yes you can just switch the stator and magneto providing that you are using an older a35 with the center mount intake. i believe the older ones were 6v.

I am wanting to make this same swap on a 79' Tomos step-thru sport, and am looking for an A-35 motor in good running shape, so if anyone knows where i could get one post here or e-mail me at mustangdude3454480@sbcglobal.net

Why do you want to swap?! I only have A-3 Tomos' and I love almost every bit about them. The only thing I don't like, is the 6 volt system. But hey, who needs lights? I have a few brake light issues, but nothing "grounding the blue wire" didn't fix. My A-3 runs strong, it surprises me sometimes. Crap: Hey, if you do a swap, does your Tomos have a Ducati flywheel and stator plate on it? If it does, I would like to buy the flywheel and/or the stator plate from you, if you do the swap! Right now, I have a ZEM flywheel on my original Ducati stator plate. Throws my timing off a little!

Jeff Strahle /

i'm still not sure if i'm gonna do the swap yet but if i can't get this thing running within the next couple weeks i'm going to have to do it.

Like I said, I'll take the flywheel assy. off your hands, if you want to sell, donate, whatever. I need a matching set to put on my A-3. I can't properly adjust my timing at all.

Jeff Strahle /

i don't think it will work considering mines a CEV system. I'll let you know when or if i get a new engine though

Don Pflueger /

cev is the most commonly used setup for tomos. it will work. they are all designed to put out the same, either 6v or 12v.

If its a 78, I know it will. I just need a matching set of a flywheel, and the stator plate. I have a "mismatched" set now.

Don Pflueger /

as long as they are timed to that crank it should work perfectly. i see no reason for it not too.

Me either, I am about 95% sure it is the ZEM flywheel on the DUCATI stator plate. I told you about it before, and you had said the same thing because of the mismatched brand names. It started doing it when I swapped the flywheels, because my DUCATI took a shit. So, I took the ZEM off the G.B, and thats when it started. The ZEM stator off the G.B. is junk... can't get it to make hardly one volt at all, let alone enough to make the coil produce spark. The motor will not fire a lick unless the stator is fully retarded, and yes, I gapped the points correctly, using a feeler gauge. What I need is the tool used to measure where the piston is, compared to when the points open. It runs good, but I think it would run a little better if I could properly adjust the timing. Oh, and are there different crankshafts for the A-3? I have seen only one type.... but it is possible!

Don Pflueger /

look for my cheap tools thread and make a depth gauge to measure the piston drop. there is only one crank that i know of.

Yep, so it has to be the mismatched parts. TheMopedJunkyard.com wants 40 bucks plus shipping for the Ducati flywheel I need. I think thats a little much, and told them myself. They said: for a part that hasn't been made in 20 years, it a bargain. Here's my question: Why then, does a complete tranny cost sometimes less than what they want for just a flywheel!? Just need a Ducati flywheel.

Don Pflueger /

supply and demand. trannies are more prone to breakdowns, so tomos built more of them. how often does a flywheel break?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account