TOMOS poppin' and crackin' like a tesla coil.

So I'm 400 miles into my new Airsal on my Tomos, Estroil, 27 speed sprokit...the basics. Everything is running smooth...Idle, start up, just crusing.

When I reach top speed (which I've come to enjoy) there is this inconsistent popping or crackling noise coming from the motor somewhere. If I let off the throttle or start climbing a hill it goes away. But down a hill, high RPMs and it's a cracklin' and snappin' away.

Question being...Is this normal, or fimiliar, to any of you guys and gals. Thanks

Re: TOMOS poppin' and crackin' like a tesla coil.

Richard Wisniewski /

dude i think you have a ignition problem or a serior piston/ring problem is your piston in right did it just start to happen??

cracked ring trashed cylinder??

whenever you have this kinda oises take the topend off and aalways check it out.\

Rich

woah... would you say its "4 stroking?" Almost sound like the timing... but, donp is the master of these types of things.

James Foster /

Maybe the clutch could be at fault, or the upper connecting rod bearing could be worn out...

JF

Does the motor bog down when it does this?

Don Pflueger /

what carb jet are you useing?

Don Pflueger /

its very cold out. the air is extremely dense. the engine is running a lot leaner because of the cold. he probably needs to do some plug chops and upjet.

Ben Van Zoest /

Yes what I thought too 'leaning out'. Before car electronics this was a common problem. Maybe an engine scroud helps.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Someone on this site said four stroking was running too rich. Which is correct rich or lean? Also it seems to me, if your timing is retarded ( not advanced enough), combustion would not have completed when the ehaust port opens. BANG, BANG.JIM

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

It is not four stroking. I finally got over that upjetting and making sure my fuel line is clean from start to finish.

I have a 63 jet in there (keep in mind the elevation is 2000 - 2500) and a 64 made it bog out, or four stroke. The temp does vary here alot. It might be a air temp problem. Last time I jetted and chopped it was in the 60's (not the Summer of Love of course...just warmer). Lately it's been in the 30-40's (more like the 40's...with the War and all).

Anyone have a few jets in this range (62,64,65) they would sell or trade for something (I've got weird crap dripping of the walls in this house and I'm willing to trade; just give me a topic). Otherwise $6 shipped through Paypal. Anyone?

I'll be posting the updated version of our Mojorisin flick soon so keep your eyes open for our ongoing Asheville adventures.

Don Pflueger /

jets are only $3 each from ike and chris. shipping would only be like $1 at most.

you gotta tell us what carb they are for.

stock dell sha 12/14mm. You got some mister?

actually. yes sir I do. I have a 60, 64, not sure if I have a 62.

Don Pflueger /

well, he has a delortto.........

I'm calling Ike today to see what he has. It's hard to keep up with you LCG, if you want to trade something simple tell me what your willing to trade for a couple jets and I'll see what I got.

Don Pflueger /

www.ikesbikes.com or www.mopedwarehouse.com has them.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account