ignition problem

Liberty Straney /

ok..i'm getting weak to no spark now. this problem has been getting progressively worse over a short period of time. Its not the points or the timing, or the ignition coil or the spark plug. i took it to a mechanic and he told me to order a new stator plate... what can go wrong with the stator plate? isn't it more likely something else? i just dug an ohmeter out of my parents garage... is there any way i can test to try to isolate the problem?

Re: ignition problem

See Ya Moped Army /

most likely a bad condensor. You do not need a new stator plate.

Jason Luther /

you need to quit going to those mechanics. have you tried a new spark plug? if your running rich or have too much oil in your gas you could be fouling the plug. or it could be the condensor. do a search on this site to learn how to test the condensor. its easy enough to replace. or it could be something as sinple as crud on your magneto. its a riverside right?-jason

Jason Luther /

yeah, just looked at your profile. thats a sweet ride. im just finishing up restoring mine.

Liberty Straney /

yeah i know, mechanics think i am a dumb girl. i had a new spark plug but i was running rich. i'll check the plug and test the condensor. i have a good repair manual, a little complicated to me still though. thanks for your help.

most mechanics don't know squat about mopeds.. and when you or me or whoever can't isolate a problem we tend to favor replacing parts until something works.

A stator plate is a piece of metal. The ignition and lighting coils are mounted on it as well as points, perhaps condenser.. I dunno why a new plate would be needed unless it included all new electrical components.

A progressively weaker spark does suggest a bad condenser.

You can do a quick check of a condenser with the multimeter set to "continuity" or "ohms" . After disconnecting the condenser from the circuit, connect one meter lead to the condenser's wire and one to it's metal can.. It should show zero ohms.. zero continuity.. Anything else means it's internally shorted.

But the wire or the internal plates could be broken and disconnected and you will still see zero ohms. So, to test this, charge the condenser with a single 1.5 volt flashlight battery. (Connect the wire to + on the battery. Connect the - on the battery to the can.) Charging only takes a split second. Be careful and prepare ahead of time so you don't need to touch the condenser at all during or after you are charging it up.

Next, for safety, hold the wire's metal clip in a pair of pliers with insulated handles, lay the condenser on the workbench and touch the wire to the can.. you should see a spark which tells you the condenser has a 99% chance of being OK.

Since this small condesner is only being charged to 1.5 volts, danger is minimal.. but never mess around with condensers (capacitors) because the discharge shock has been known to kill people.

Ben Van Zoest /

The breaker points could be messed up, worn out or out of adjustment. How many miles u have on the engine?

After doing a experiment and reading this page:

<http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/captest.htm#cttcm>;

i'm gonna recommend you forget about testing the condenser .. results will not be accurate enough to tell you if the condenser is dying or not.

I managed to get a tiny spark but only by using a 9 volt battery and moving quickly. (Some caps discharge very quickly .. too quick for the test to be useful)

Another thing is the capacitance (electrical capacity) of the condenser can be gradually breaking down and give weakening spark symptoms you describe but it can still test as 'good'. The proper tools for accurately testing caps is expensive, and it's not a normal meter.

Best advice on that page is to replace the (inexpensive) condenser with a known good or new one... and imo the symptoms do warrant trying a different condenser.

Liberty Straney /

its '65 but its only got 960 miles on it. i cleaned the points and checked the timing....

Don Pflueger /

clean the rust from the magnets inside the flywheel and on the pick ups for the coils. a very thin layer of rust will alter the charge from the coils as it cannot generate the magnetic field needed to create electricity in the coil.

then check the condensor as well.

Liberty Straney /

kill people?!? great! i'm scared of electricity! but i'm willing to risk death for my moped!

Jason Luther /

if youre going by the mixture suggestion on the gas tank, thats waaayyy too rich. what is it 5% ? thats a 20;1 ratio. try mixing 32:1 and get a new plug. -jason

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account